Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I watched it today and I have to say it looked really nice. If I wasn't already invested in not only the iPhone but Apple ecosystem, I would probably consider switching if user adoption and app development pick up.

I think what makes the hurdle of other companies stealing some iPhone users away from Apple is the investment in Apps. I find it really hard to basically throw away the money and apps that I've spent money on to move to another platform, even as much as I have wanted to at times.

Anyways what did everyone else who possibly tuned in to the conference think?

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
It looks good enough to become my next phone OS, but wasnt radical or anything compared to WP7.5. Im on Verizon so hopefully more info comes about the ATIV Odyssey before I buy the 8X.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
It was a horrid conference.

That guy Belfiore is always the same... "People around me, my wife, my kids". Who are they aiming this OS at? Obviously their marketing failed multiple times, yet they keep it the same.

There are no interesting and really groundbreaking improvements in WP8.

Doesn't even have an orientation lock. While WP7 had Wi-Fi Sync, WP8 does not.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I haven't really kept up at all with Windows Phone, so I wouldn't know what WP7 has or doesn't have compared to WP8.

I just was pretty impressed with what I saw though. No the presentation wasn't the greatest, but I thought the product looked pretty solid.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I stopped watching when Jessica Alba came up to rave about Kid's Corner.

WP8 interface is just too boring for me: the home screen is colored squares, and the apps are mostly just text. I need some visual design to gnaw it, maybe that's just me.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011

WP8 interface is just too boring for me: the home screen is colored squares, and the apps are mostly just text. I need some visual design to gnaw it, maybe that's just me.

What? What was Jessica Alba doing in a tech conference?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

You find the WP interface boring compared to rows and rows of static tiles?

-_-

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You find the WP interface boring compared to rows and rows of static tiles?

-_-

At least there's textures/gradients/drop shadows/reflections/DESIGN. It's interesting that Windows Phone's complete lack of design is being praised as nice design. I believe that iOS is more visually appealing to me than Windows Phone. That design language is elegant but it's just text. Windows 8 has a better implementation of Metro.

I think the WP8 home screen is the best available on any platform, though.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Find better apps than. Most of the apps I have aren't just text.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If you want a quick impression of WP8's features, I recommend this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQZEkXCE_fY

Shorter and more to the point (even though he again brings in his kids ;)).

I think some of it looks really nice and there are some genuine innovations. But as someone else said, it remains to be seen how the ecosystem develops.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I am literally blown away by Windows Phone 8's presentation.

It looks stunning, is buttery smooth, and offers a wealth of Glance and Go information.

Apple should take note.

It does need a notification center though. I would miss that.

Last edited:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
If you want a quick impression of WP8's features, I recommend this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQZEkXCE_fY

Shorter and more to the point (even though he again brings in his kids ;)).

I think some of it looks really nice and there are some genuine innovations. But as someone else said, it remains to be seen how the ecosystem develops.
:D at the hand popping in and out handing Belfiore the tablet and phone.

WP8 looks very nice, I would have strongly considered getting one if I hadn't already got an iPhone 5. I'm definitely getting a Windows 8 tablet though, an x86 Windows 8 tablet + an iPhone sounds like an awesome combination to me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Great stuff, at least they are innovating instead of Apple IMO. Kids corner is pretty cool, although I wish they did separate user accounts like Google did. I like the live tiles concept instead of just having a grid of lifeless informationless icons. I don't know how WP will do, but I've got to hand it to them they are trying hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.