Anyone else with rumor site regret?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mcmav37, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I was thinking the other day that as interesting as I find it to pour through these rumors on a daily basis, and as excited as I am about the prospects for today's keynote, I feel a little sad that it is likely nothing will surprise me (at least not a good surprise). It's kinda like knowing what all of your birthday presents are before you open them.

If everything we have heard comes true, then it will be a great day for Apple, but I can only imagine how cool it would have been to watch it live (if possible) or just visit the homepage and see the link to a sub-$500 Mac. That would be awesome.

Of course, the even more negative side is that it is entirely possible that something we are expecting will not be announced (or does not even exist at all) or will cost more than we hoped--anyone remember the sub-$100 iPod rumors from last year?

Now, will any of this change my behavior today or for future keynotes. Nope, probably not at all, but I really hope that SJ will have something positive to surprise us with today, something we have barely, if at all, thought about.

Only about 8 hours to go. Wish I could be there. Wish it were broadcast live. Hope the rumor sites will be able to update during.
  2. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    It will suprise you, and it will feel good.
  3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I always read the rumours, but when I see the keynote and something is introduced, I'm always excited like a little child. So, these rumours don't spoil anything for me.
  4. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    We all knew about the G5, had all seen pics of it before, and I only got to see the keynote a few weeks later, ... but I was still over excited when watching!

No, rumours don't spoil the fun. :)
  5. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    When do you think the next pre keynote rumour will get released?
    There's got to be that last nudge of momentum before kick off.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I know what you mean about rumour site regret.

I've come to a compromise - I read about what might get released but I don't read the full specs so that at least something is new and hopefully surprising!
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Didn't they have that in the headless Mac though until the surprise was ruined, and there lies the problem. Apple try to maintain a degree of secrecy so that they can surprise, only to have them leaked to the world that's what I hate about rumour sites, whilst I love reading about possible products, specs etc... I hate it when accurate information is leaked and reported... it does spoil it for me. Rumours = good. Leaked specs = bad.

But that pales in comparison to the annoyance from all the winjers that feel the need to put their size 10's into products they're not even interested in buying... that's generally when I avoid reading any thread after it has exceeded 1 page, because it'll just be full of...

"headless iMac is crap",
    "it should be a Dual G5 with this and that and still be only 200 bucks", "what no screen on the iPod micro, I'm sticking with my 60GB iPod photo"

blah blah blah...
  8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    iGAV I agree with you last points. All too many think that they know what is best for Apple. For me it is about pie in the sky thinking of what might be better.
  9. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    the suprise is still seeing what the new products will look like etc! personally i cant wait for that. i am so hopeing that the micro ipod thingy will look different to the vast array of stick like flash based players and just add something that we wouldnt have thought of!
  10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    I dont come here for the rumors anymore.
    I just come here out of habit.
  11. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA

I used to read them religiously, but have found that 95% of them are groundless, and the other 5% just ruin the surprise. So, usually, I avoid the main page and most rumors-based threads.

Plus, I think too much attention paid to rumors - especially, spec-ridden ones like iGAV mentioned - make it impossible to ever enjoy an Apple product, because you just end up waiting for it to be obsoleted. Think of all those PB owners (or, worse, people who never bought one because they were worried about the next rev) who are constantly expecting the next big thing. Obviously, sooner or later (my vote is later), the next big PB will be released. But why worry about it until it comes out?

I have far more fun discussing what's really been released and eagerly anticipating what will come next (i.e., excited pre-Christmas feeling before keynotes) than I do speculating on what might be out. before, when I bought my dual-2 in September of 2003, I was worried I'd been an idiot because the dual-3's would be out soon. I'm happy I bought it anyway. Well, actually, I wished I'd waited 5 weeks so I could have bought it at 10% off at the end of October 2003 (missed the return deadline by 3 stinking days, else I'd've returned mine - they initially sold with a 30-day money back guarantee - and bought a new one). But, still, I'm glad I bought when I did.

If I had the money, I'd buy a PB today. Well, OK, I'm not that ignorant - I'd buy it tomorrow after the keynote. But, assuming no major PB improvements, I wouldn't sit around waiting for the G5 version that also makes you breakfast and hypnotizes women (or men, depending on your inclination).
  12. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I love the rumors and conjecture that results from people trying to anticipate what the next product will be. This is the first year where I feel like I know pretty much what Steve will unveil, even though final spec's/pricing/design are unknown. I'm hoping there will still be a surprise or two in store.
    I still feel the same level of anticipation as always, but this year, that may be because I'm excited by the prospect of Apple going in uncharted (low end) territory with product launches, as opposed to the usual anticipation of just not knowing for sure what to expect from them.
    I guess we'll have to touch base after the keynote news has settled to determine if this is better or worse. My guess, though, is that any new product from Apple will have us happy and PO'd at the same time, and keep us posting for a long while. What's not to love about that?
  13. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I guess I don't like it when the rumors contain specs. Then they become less rumors and more leaked specs as another poster said.

Hopefully Steve has something up his sleeve for today that we don't know about yet. I hope there's at least *some* element of surprise.