Anyone else's heating broken?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by combatcolin, Dec 4, 2006.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Funk me its cold at times in my house.

The downstairs fire is knackered, has been since i moved in (Year to the day!:) )
    My boiler predates Christianity and can be heard everywhere in my house, my central heating works but only if i turn the boiler on - the timer controls are broken too and its either:-

Hot water/Heating off or Hot water/Heating on.

To top it off gas prices (and that GAS for heating not car GAS for our friends across the pond) is bloody expensive.

2. Queso macrumors G4

We're lucky in that we live in a block, so there's two great stonking boilers downstairs that load-balance under normal conditions for shared heating and hot water to all households. Each is big enough to take the entire heating load if the other fails, so in the six years I've lived here we've only ever had two days without heating, both during our recent refurb when the system was taken down twice for an overhaul and a calibration.

It's amazing how cold even a modern house gets when it's not being heated. Hope it gets fixed soon.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL actually mine is! And some coldness is heading our way...I need to get this fixed. :(

4. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Correct me if im wrong, but Florida isn't known for its bracing winter weather is it not?

;)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

Well, actually, it snowed about two weeks ago near Disneyworld! Which is quite unusual. But it's not so uncommon for winter nights to reach the 40F / 5C kind of range. That's really where it's needed. And it's supposed to happen this week.

6. rose red macrumors member

We replaced an ancient boiler 2 or 3 years ago and the gas consumption went down by more than 30%.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's midday for us in late Feb/early March. Wussies. :rolleyes:

And no, my PowerBook is working just fine thanks. :D

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You guys must all come and live in the Southern Hemisphere! Warm winters and HOT summers... Yummy!

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I grew up in Michigan! The jetstream picked up Lake Michigan and dropped it on my head every winter. So I've done my time! Suck it! :eek: ;) :D

10. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

My furnace breaks ever year. It's so "dependable" you could use it to set the time.

*furnace just went poof so it must be 9:34. Hmm, my watch is running slow.*

Thank goodness for wood stoves.

11. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Yup we have it easy :D

San Diego, CA
    77F high
    43F low

On the heating aspect. It never gets cold enough to worry about heating costs for me. On the few occasions it dips into the 30s here, it just means having to get out the space heater and throw on an extra blanket.

12. dcv macrumors G3

Aaarrgh, you have my sympathies. My boiler broke last November, it was the first really freezing week of the year. Typical!

Edit: hold on, I'm just reading your post again. So it's the controls that are broken, not the actual boiler? Oh well I had NO hot water or anything... so count yourself lucky :p

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that would push it over the edge... cold showers are tough (although maybe one gets used to it?). I'm in the same boat, FWIW... I think it's the thermostat and not the heater, as I have hot water.

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've been fiddling with my thermostat in vain for days now, trying to coax any bit of warmth out of the damn thing. No luck so far...

15. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Oh man, I know how you feel. Last year my mom's neighborhood lost power for about 48 hours, and the temperatures were in the single digits. I think the temp in-house fell to the 30's. We tried to get a fire going, but it turned out the little blocker thingie in the chimney was stuck shut, so the house filled with smoke - and so we had to open all the windows to air it out. In the cold.

16. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

mine's gone too. We've only been in for about a year as well but one thing I didn't see working when we viewed was the CH. When we did get in, the pipes clanked and it worked - then it didn't!!! Cold!

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's working great this time around, after a year of rebuilding half the house to clean up after the ****ing ****ers who ran bare ****ing copper tubes in the dirt under the foundation. Oh well, nice new floors! And the water bill is down by 3/4 this year too :)

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thanks for reminding me about heating my house. :rolleyes:

I'm renting a 101-year old house with an oil furnace...it's effective but the house is drafty.

19. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yep, its everything or nothing.

My house had an extension built in 1987, the house itself was built in the early 70's, and the boiler is in the downstairs toilet which is next to the laundry room, so thats behind 2 doors and you can still here the thing anywhere in the house.

When we moved in the boiler didn't work, and we got British Gas out to fix it, he said i should replace it as soon as i could, and when we were inspected for a discounted loft/cavity wall insulation that guy said the same thing.

On the plus side our shower is independant of the boiler, not exactly warm though.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ruddy nora! I wouldn't like to have a broken boiler in this weather. I've avoided going out all day myself, not ready for this winter weather just right now :eek:

our boiler broke over the summer a couple of years ago. Only broke for 2 days but ruddy hell... boiling hot weather with freezing cold water. Not a nice contrast.

21. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My sympathies to the cold brethern of the north. But isn't it supposed to be cold in the UK?

22. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yes, but insulation came very late to UK house building, never needed to insulate your home as the UK had a massive amount of offshore gas, now its running out gas prices have doubled in under 3 years and will double in few more years.

After i had my loft done the upstairs are much warmer, bloody cold downstairs though.

AND as soon as it gets windy the air rockets down the chimney flue behind the non-working gas fire and into the living room to give you that authentic standing outside freezing your knackers off feeling.

23. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

At home our heat is fine, but at school last week, for whatever reason, in one of the buildings it was almost unbearably hot! It was really weird. We got out of class early one day because of it, so it wasn't really THAT bad. Better to have too much heat than too little, I guess. :D

24. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Pffft.

Clearwater, FL
    76F High
    61F Low

I wish it got cold.
    When it dips down to the 40's, we just turn off the air.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Up here in UP Michigan:

High 27F
    Low 17F

Currently 17 and snowing.

Still better than North Dakota...