Anyone ever been banned from the Apple support forums?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ZildjianKX, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

There has been a recent "****storm" of stuff going on in the Apple support forum, mainly over how a lot of people felt cheated by Apple releasing the DP 1.8 G5.

Anyways, I made a series of posts supporting a lot of people's views, and within 10 minutes I got 3 E-mails saying I got warnings and am banned...

Do they actually contact your ISP? If so, that's pretty jacked... I posted all 3 messages prior to even receiving E-mails... oh well.

2. Island Roots macrumors regular

I was banned about two months ago due to posting the ridiculous stories I'd get from Apple reps concerning when my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 would ship.

Needless to say, my Apple ID is still banned, although I can still browse the forums. I have another Apple ID that I use for developer purposes; logging in under that Apple ID, I am able to post and reply.

3. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

Re: Anyone ever been banned from the Apple support forums?

why would you support those who feel cheated by apple releasing an update? apple has the right to update their products, they can't just keep the same product line around forever just so people can feel content that they have the latest and greatest. people who get pissed at apple everytime they update something are doing nothing but telling apple to slow down progress, those people need to realize, things get updated, chances are, when you buy something that is the latest and greatest, it wont be for long, and people not smart enough to realize that really piss me off.

5. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Re: Re: Anyone ever been banned from the Apple support forums?

Yes, I realize this and totally agree, but this is slightly different.

The SP 1.8 GHz model was singled out and completely discontinued... losing a GREAT deal of its resale value. I, like many, bought this model since we weren't expecting the top of the line and so it wouldn't be that big of a deal when the next wave of G5s came out... but after waiting 3 months for the computer to ship, it was discontinued after approx 2 months... that's kind of messed up. Meanwhile, when I go to resell my computer in the future, it will be worth much less now that the dual processor model is out... at approximately the same price.

Furthermore, I'm sure Apple knew before the SP model even shipped that they would be phased out, so they really hurt the early adopters who supported the G5... go figure.

Edit- And thanks for calling me "not smart"... I didn't buy the "latest and greatest" either...

6. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Anyone that got a Pro Card could return their G5 for 30 days, no restocking fee, no questions asked, so those that have one could simply return it and get a new one.

7. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Yeah, that kinda bugs me... I bought it from www.apple.com even though there is a mac store near me... out of luck.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If you were happy with your purchase of a single 1.8 GHz G5 then what is the problem? You got what you wanted and what you were willing to pay for. If Apple came out with a dual G4 PowerBook after I bought mine two months back I am not going to get pissed at them because at the time I was absolutely foaming at the mouth for my now two month old PowerBook and it is exactly what I wanted and was willing to settle down and get cozy with. Sure, I'd love a dual if it came out, but I much rather see Apple progress and blow the doors off the speed barriers faster and quicker than ever than feel secure about having the absolute top of the line.

9. Island Roots macrumors regular

If you're one that gets upset when new and greater things come out that succeed a product you've recently bought, you shouldn't be buying electronics.

The minute you open your newest toy, something newer and faster will be on the verge of release. Either be happy with what you have or don't buy anything at all.

10. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

No offense, but your guys' responses are a bit patronizing...

Thanks for throwing me the "its still as good as when you bought it" and the "don't buy electronics if you don't want them to get outdated" speech, but those are far from why myself, and MANY others are pissed.

To quote a forum post...

11. leet1 macrumors 6502

Dang! it took two months to get the system?!? that sucks

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I just saw my G3 ibook become practically worthless when the G4 came out. I haven't gone screaming on the Apple forums that this sucks.

I don't buy it that the 1.8 GHz SP has lost a great deal of it's resale value. It will still be worth more than a 1.6GHz SP and less than a 2GHz DP. Besides, you've had it for two months - you're not trying to sell it just now. Sure the 1.8DP will still be worth more then but not that much more. Check out the prices of powermac G4s on ebay. There isn't a collosal difference in prices between any of the recent MDD models.

13. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

At least on ebay now there is a nasty backlash... but I guess eventually there won't be much of a difference down the road, its just right now their present value has sort of crashed. I'm over it now, but it feels good to bitch sometimes :) And Apple isn't always the fantastic consumer friendly company people make them out to be :)

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Back to the topic of this thread:

Apple's support forums are for technical and software support. They're not chat rooms. And they're not the place to submit feedback to Apple. Personally, I think Apple allows too many general discussion threads as it is. You shouldn't be surprised that after posting three off-topic messages in a row, you were banned.

15. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

It was kind of bitchy though, since I would actually ask a legitimate question in my post in a thread, and comment at the end that I agree with the guy above... and my post would get deleted... etc. Go figure.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yikes...

Imagine getting banned because a new machine completely replaced your machine in a matter of months.

And you felt cheated, and let Apple know.

Maybe all these people would feel better if Apple sent some PowerMac G5vx badges and stickers to all the SP 1.8 G5 owners.

It's not like Apple hasn't completely killed an entire class of machines recently, ie Rev. B MDD PowerMac.

OK, bad example. They actually replaced that machine with something older. :rolleyes:

---

And the machine isn't obsolete. ;)

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

(forum post omitted..)

You certainly have a valid complaint, but the complaint is the delay in Apple's shipping times, (Yikes!) not with the release of the DP 1.8 machines.

The only remedy Apple can (and should!) offer is to shorten shipping times dramatically to make incidents like this less severe. They certainly shouldn't delay release of new machines to sooth purchasers of new machines.

18. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'm a "helper" at the forums, and get to see some of the reasons why people get posts deleted or banned. If its just a chat thing, it will often be deleted (ocassionally they let a few stand that are at least about macs or the community), they delete things because of the tone (i.e. if its really just a rant thats mean spirited and going to invite a flame war or argument, its not worth their time keeping it there. So sometimes its not the post itself, but what it willincite that gets it deleted. The forums are supposed to be friendly and inviting to all. People use it as a soapbox and don't think about how it affects others and first time visitors). To get banned takes a lot. It takes someone who trolls, consitently curses, rants over and over again and keeps reposting deleted threads. It usually takes multiple offenses. They issue you warnings. If you get banned, its your own fault for not listening to the warnings they send you.

The mods there are very careful, they don't ban someone without a good reason in their opinion. Remeber, they have a job to do, whcih is to keep the forums useful and inviting. People who abuse those forums, which are a fantastic source for information, are really taking away a lot from those who frequent the forums. The helpers there work with the mods to help keep the forums friendly and helpful. In fact, its usually the helpers (unpaid volunteers), not the mods who notice problem posters, notice those posting under multiple names, etc and ask for their posts to be deleted and in extreme cases have them banned. They won't contact your ISP probably, but they will attempt to block your IP if you are a total jerk and repost the same crap under different logins.

So for those who use the forums, remember what theya re there for, and remember that they are a source of information and a place to spread the goodwill of the apple community. Really negative, nasty comments and rants don't belong there (and are a violation fo the terms of service which are clearly spelled out)

19. beerguy macrumors regular

-begin hijack-

The thought of anyone buying a computer based on resale value is laughable IMHO. If you can buy it in a store then it's already obsolete. Buy what you want, keep it as long as you like and then buy a new one...

Sorry, just my rant.

Carry on, talk amongst yourselves.

-end rant-

20. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

umm, how is that quote any different then someone getting a good product, and then soon after it gets updated with something better for the same price, and that someone gets pissed? a shipping delay has nothing to do with it, they aren't going to slow down progress just because it took awhile for something to ship. and saying that they knew they were coming out with the dp1.8 is equally meaningless, i think apple knows that they are going to come out with a G5 powerbook eventually, but is that supposed to make them stop selling the current powerbook?

i fail to see any of your logic in this.

21. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I don't feel like keeping this thread going, but I'll make two more posts and that's it. The logic is they abused early adopters since they knew they were going to be replacing the model before it even shipped. The point is people waited longer for their computers to ship than the computer actually existed on the market. If you don't understand that, then I don't know what else to say... :eek:

22. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I couldn't disagree with you more. Some of the helpers have been very rude, one helper replied to a new thread and called a member "pathetic" for feeling cheated by Apple... how is that professional?

I made a series of posts in a thread, and was banned before I even received the first E-mail... how is that my own damn fault? A lot of people are unhappy... and I think that's Apple's own damn fault.

Edit - I won't be replying to this thread anymore... if anyone feels like complaining about how I see things, I won't be answering.

23. ksz macrumors 68000

Actually I can sympathize with you. Many retailers offer a price protection guarantee that works very simply like this:

If you buy a product from them and if within 15 or 30 days of your purchase the same retailer or another local retailer offers the SAME product at a lower price, your retailer will refund you the difference if you ask.

In this example, people can argue that you should be happy with what you bought because you got what you wanted at a price you agreed to. If it's so many dollars less after a few days...then...well, you shouldn't really complain. But you can still get the difference back.

In Apple's case the 1.8 GHz PowerMac was not reduced in price, it was discontinued. This side steps the traditional price-protection system. The new machines as you've indicated are *almost* twice as good at about the same price, but you're out of luck for being a day late (so to speak).

In Apple's defense, however, you should note that orders that were placed for 1.8 single-CPU machines were automatically upgraded to the dual-CPU configuration so not everyone got "screwed".

This does not help you, I know, but at least I can sympathize.

24. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i never said i didn't understand it, but what i don't get is why you feel you have the right to be pissed off at apple, which you definately do not. they have the right to update their products when the see fit, if you don't like it, buy a pc and quit complaining.

25. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Well the reasons for shipping delays was because of the Airborne hassle with FedEx getting priority over Airborne in overseas shipments. But I believe that was solved since DHL just bought them or merged with them.

Anyway I can see why you got banned as to the mods you where just antagonizing the issue or flaming the flames. No one that mods a board likes to see a flame war starting.

As for you being outdated well what about folks that order a new dual 1.8 and it gets deleted when the new G5's comes out?? How you think those folks will feel? If your into computer you should know by now your only up to date for about 2-3 months before something new comes out.

As for your resale value it's been known that rarer the computer is the more money it earns as yrs. pile on. I know folks now that collect Apples are paying top dollar for the dual 1.42 G4 which was out maybe 2-3months tops before the G5's hit the streets.

Folks need to stop bitching about updates to the product line. I mean if you think your comments about Apple will mean anything your wrong because if Apple slows down because some folks get pissed because their product gets outdated quicker then how the hell will they ever compete with PC's? How will they gain marketshare that seems to shrinking all the time. Apple has to adapt to speed increases just as PC's do and update as soon as possible to keep from getting left behind. Apple didn't choose IBM to be left behind because if they wanted to do that they could stayed with Moto and we have just gotten to maybe to a Dual 1.6 G4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.