anyone ever bought one of those info packages on ebay?

Discussion in 'Community' started by davidc2182, Mar 19, 2003.

1. davidc2182 macrumors regular

has anyone ever bought one of those info packages on ebay that say you can get brand name electronics for free? if so does it work?

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've never bought them, nor do I know of anybody who has, but something about them tells me that they are a scam. If they weren't, then you'd hear about more people actually getting this stuff for free, and if they did, the manufacturers would do something about it to make sure that consumers have to pay...

I wouldn't trust it...

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've seen these many times in the past...and I'm always skeptical.

My rule of thumb...if it sounds too good to be true..it probably is... :rolleyes:

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sorta

I didnt buy it, but I know what it exactly is. Want the info? Gotta email it or something because its really long.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'll tell you what it is for free!

With Apple gear - they sell you instructions on how to apply for a student developer account. Stuff is a bit cheaper that way, if you are a student and toss $99 at Apple.

The other deals are pyramids or matrices (matrixes). You buy in and have to sell to others - after long enough you *might* get some of the hardware for a greatly reduced price, even free - this can take up to 6 months and involves a lot of work. It is borderline scam and has a great possibility of you losing money. I deal a lot on Ebay. It is 95% legit - the other 5% is grey area where you can lose a lot in a short amount of time. Only buy things from reputable sellers as indicated by their feedback rating. Don't buy anything over $100 from anyone with less than a 300 rating. Ebay says they can recover money from fraudulent sellers - but they only get you $200 back max and take $25 as a deductable. Buy from good sellers and you'll never have a problem.

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/carletonmusic/

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmmm..... i used to have a friend that sold that info, most of them involve going to a website and working thru a a pyramid or eanring points towards prizes. Others involve requesting free samples. Lets just say my friend made quite a bit of money selling such information over the last year (approx $6k i think), he ended up putting it towards a porsche boxster 1997 ...hes 17...i wouldn't buy anything like that msot likely your dreaming and they are advertising to tha dream....

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Haha

Actually, you are all wrong.
    Those are a few schemes.

This one is like...

You write to a company (not a big one like apple, sony, etc., more like taiwan companys), and say you are interested in xxx to write a review for xxx magazine. you say like

Hi I am bob from Video Designers, and I am interested in your Canon GL1. I would like to write a review on this camera including pros, cons, and reasons to buy. Blah blah blah. I am asking for one unit for testing purposes only to be sent to xxx account (fedex).

Its stuff like that.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmm i think i listed them all i'm pretty aware of the supply of information on eBay. MacAztek thats the same as asking for a free sample...so i don't think you shoudl be calling people wrong

10. parenthesis macrumors member

kinda

I bought one, but ended up getting my money back. It was $10, I was bored...

The odd thing was that the person never sent me anything. He just said that he had "family problems" or something and gave me my money back. *shrug*

11. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: anyone ever bought one of those info packages on ebay?

Don't do it. It's fake.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: Haha

Is it that easy? THey won't actually send you a camera or
    whatever will they?

13. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Re: Re: Haha

If they do they expect it back when you are done.

Or you can buy it a reduced price.

Dan