Anyone ever get this error message?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macman2790, Feb 7, 2007.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

I've gotten this message a once in the first week i had my c2d macbook pro, and now 3 months later it's happened 2 days in a row(twice).

"you need to restart your computer hold down the power button for several secondsor press the restart button."

the screen gets darker, its like the message is coming down, and it is gray. It is also displayed in french, german, japanese, and chinese.

has anyone experienced this problem, and what could it be? I've repaired permissions, so that won't fix it.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's called a kernal panic. It's the Mac version of the blue screen of death. If you experience it a lot, then you should take your Mac into the Apple store and have it looked at.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Have you made any changes to your system (either hardware or software)recently that might have coincided with the first kernel panic? Bad RAM is a common cause, but there are a ton of things that can cause it. If you do a Spotlight search for a file called panic.log you might be able to decipher what's causing the problem.

4. sturigdson macrumors regular

kernel panics are serious problems that applecare should take seriously as well. As BadCowboy said, they're often caused by hardware issues- so if you added RAM or anything on your own, that's likely the problem. If not, if it's doing this without you making any changes, I'd go talk to apple asap.

5. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

no, i'll see what the log says