Anyone ever ordered from MCE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rovias, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Rovias macrumors member

Feb 22, 2005
    Well, I made a thread about a week ago saying that I was going to sell my Powerbook and get either an eMac or iMac G5. Recently, I've had a change of heart and decided to keep my Powerbook, for a couple of different reasons.

Most importantly, I figure I can get at least 2-3 more years out of my PB if I just upgrade the RAM to 1 GB and install a new Superdrive. I didn't think this was possible until I ran across MCE Technologies' website. They're selling 8x Dual-Layer Superdrive upgrades for most Apple computers, including my PB. Buying the RAM and the new Superdrive would come out to around $450, which is much cheaper than spending $1350 on a new Mac.

A couple of concerns before I take the plunge though:
    1) How reliable is MCE? Are these superdrives quality products, or do they tend to screw up after a while? Any conflicts with my Apple apps?

2) How hard is it to install the superdrive myself? I don't think it would be too big of a deal, and my Applecare warranty is up anyway, so I'm not worried about voiding it.

3) I'm assuming Crucial is the absolute best choice for RAM. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    1. not sure about the superdrives, i nevered ordered from there
    2. I think installing the superdrive takes seconds--but i may be wrong
    3. Crucial is the way to go, but it doesn't mean it has the best prices all the time
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    MCE has been in business a long time. My assumption (although I have never dealt with them) is that they are reputable.

Watch out for the requirements -- there are different models to order depending whether your current drive is a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, or a CD-RW or Combo.

I wouldn't say installation takes seconds, you'll have to open the case of the machine and be meticulous about putting things back together the way they ought to. I would give it 20 minutes to half an hour, taking it slow.

Crucial has done an excellent job of advertising their name. In truth, their RAM is no better or worse than top quality RAM from other third party vendors. Make sure you are pricing their Apple specific RAM, not their PC generic. You didn't specify your model of 'book, however the 1 Gb that Apple uses in ther AlBooks is a Samsung module that is available from a variety of vendors.

Choose a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac. In the USA I like Data Memory Systems
  4. sphereboy macrumors 6502

May 10, 2002
    I buy my RAM from OWC Sales (Other World Computing)

I've had nothing but great results with them, from pricing to shipping and service. It's great.
  5. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY

I don't understand on OWC, like if I put in iBook G4, it lists so many different 1GB chips and they all have different prices. The one says it's Samsung, the others don't say anything, but they look identical...
  6. sphereboy macrumors 6502

May 10, 2002
    I go with the Samsung. Those are the same one's that come with the Macs.
    Same product number for example.

The other one's are either Generic brands or another brand if it is stated.