Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Just a quick question, I have a Rev A 1.8 GHz SP G5 and the fans in it are finally driving me nuts, that and static though the audio out. I bought apple care for it before the one year was up, but I just had a few questions to anyone who has dealt with applecare before...

Will they let you ship it in, and if so, is it pre-paid and will they mail you a box? I really don't have time to take it to an applestore (plus no car at the moment)...

And secondly, I've upgraded about everything possible on my system, from a new hard drive, dvd drive, video card, and RAM... will I have to make my G5 stock before shipping it? If so, I don't have my original graphics card, so that might be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
they post you a box, they ask you to take out all third party ram ect. but i'm not sure about HD's and the graphics card, i have never sent any of my powermacs in :).

call them and ask.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Hector said:
they post you a box, they ask you to take out all third party ram ect. but i'm not sure about HD's and the graphics card, i have never sent any of my powermacs in :).

call them and ask.

Many thanks. I'll give them a call as soon as I get my powerbook from work... I can't stand to be without a mac for a week... :)

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Don't tell them what you don't want to know... i've sent in my iBook with a replacement 7200 rpm drive, non standard memory, and an overclocked (albeit via software) video card... they didn't say nuffin.
-Kevin
That being said, if they know beforehand, they won't repair i dont htink

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
good point, the good ol lazy asses at apple care probably could care less. ive come up with that conclusion after ive had 3 logic board problems, every repair besides the last coming back defective on arrival, with some hardcore looking battle scars all over the once flawless casing.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Ask them about the video card thing. Sometimes (not often but it happens) they replace the whole machine. That's why it's a good idea to save a CCC disk image of your system before it goes out for repair also. And since you have a $350 video card upgrade it's probably a good idea to replace that with an FX5200. I'm sure it won't be hard to find one of those. I mean, I have one sitting around doing nothing. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.