Anyone ever sent a powermac in to applecare with upgrades?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ZildjianKX, Dec 30, 2004.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Just a quick question, I have a Rev A 1.8 GHz SP G5 and the fans in it are finally driving me nuts, that and static though the audio out. I bought apple care for it before the one year was up, but I just had a few questions to anyone who has dealt with applecare before...

Will they let you ship it in, and if so, is it pre-paid and will they mail you a box? I really don't have time to take it to an applestore (plus no car at the moment)...

And secondly, I've upgraded about everything possible on my system, from a new hard drive, dvd drive, video card, and RAM... will I have to make my G5 stock before shipping it? If so, I don't have my original graphics card, so that might be a problem.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    they post you a box, they ask you to take out all third party ram ect. but i'm not sure about HD's and the graphics card, i have never sent any of my powermacs in :).

call them and ask.
  3. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Many thanks. I'll give them a call as soon as I get my powerbook from work... I can't stand to be without a mac for a week... :)
  4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't tell them what you don't want to know... i've sent in my iBook with a replacement 7200 rpm drive, non standard memory, and an overclocked (albeit via software) video card... they didn't say nuffin.
    That being said, if they know beforehand, they won't repair i dont htink
  5. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    good point, the good ol lazy asses at apple care probably could care less. ive come up with that conclusion after ive had 3 logic board problems, every repair besides the last coming back defective on arrival, with some hardcore looking battle scars all over the once flawless casing.
  6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

They only thing they might be leary of is the DVD drive replacement. The HD addition, video card addition, and extra RAM are not considered to be warranty violations. However the DVD drive may be so if you have the original put it back in.
  7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ask them about the video card thing. Sometimes (not often but it happens) they replace the whole machine. That's why it's a good idea to save a CCC disk image of your system before it goes out for repair also. And since you have a $350 video card upgrade it's probably a good idea to replace that with an FX5200. I'm sure it won't be hard to find one of those. I mean, I have one sitting around doing nothing. ;)