Anyone ever successfully installed PC133 512mb in a 500 mhz Ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by one1, Jun 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Title pretty much sums it up........... I have PC100 256mb in there right now. I welcome your guesses, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has done it or knows someone who has. (link maybe?)

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sure. This is the white iBook G3 (the 'icebook'), correct? A compatible 512 Mb PC133 will work fine in it PROVIDED that it is a 16 chip module, and that the SPD settings are correctly written to allow for 100 MHz operation.

Since you don't have any way of knowing what the SPD settings are in a given module, I recommend getting it from a reputable Mac-knowledgeable seller.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you

The SPD wouldn't happen to be preset and written on a package if iI try and buy it, eh? There's so much to choose from out there.

I just fired up my second Ibook (same model as the on in question) and it says the following in the system profiler:

Dimm1/j12
    256mb
    SDRAM
    PC133-333

Looks like one of my 500 mhz white Ibooks is already running 133, surprise to me.

EDIT: is 512 the biggest stick that'll go in this particular book, anyone know?

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope. That's why it is safest to buy from a reputable Mac-savvy dealer.

Yes, 512 is the largest size SODIMM that can be used in any Apple PC133-based notebook.