Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Title pretty much sums it up........... I have PC100 256mb in there right now. I welcome your guesses, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has done it or knows someone who has. (link maybe?)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Title pretty much sums it up........... I have PC100 256mb in there right now. I welcome your guesses, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has done it or knows someone who has. (link maybe?)

Sure. This is the white iBook G3 (the 'icebook'), correct? A compatible 512 Mb PC133 will work fine in it PROVIDED that it is a 16 chip module, and that the SPD settings are correctly written to allow for 100 MHz operation.

Since you don't have any way of knowing what the SPD settings are in a given module, I recommend getting it from a reputable Mac-knowledgeable seller.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Thank you

The SPD wouldn't happen to be preset and written on a package if iI try and buy it, eh? There's so much to choose from out there.

I just fired up my second Ibook (same model as the on in question) and it says the following in the system profiler:

Dimm1/j12
256mb
SDRAM
PC133-333

Looks like one of my 500 mhz white Ibooks is already running 133, surprise to me.

EDIT: is 512 the biggest stick that'll go in this particular book, anyone know?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Thank you

The SPD wouldn't happen to be preset and written on a package if iI try and buy it, eh? There's so much to choose from out there.

Nope. That's why it is safest to buy from a reputable Mac-savvy dealer.

I just fired up my second Ibook (same model as the on in question) and it says the following in the system profiler:

Dimm1/j12
256mb
SDRAM
PC133-333

Looks like one of my 500 mhz white Ibooks is already running 133, surprise to me.

EDIT: is 512 the biggest stick that'll go in this particular book, anyone know?

Yes, 512 is the largest size SODIMM that can be used in any Apple PC133-based notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.