Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karhong

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Dubai/UAE
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread ...
On teh topic of online education, are there any good (recognized by employer) schools for BSc on Computer Science, or Mathematics ?

Rgds.

BlkBear

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2004
I'm chiming in late, but when I was in school that was the first class that really separated the men/women from the boys/girls (usually taken as a sophomore in our department, but for scheduling reasons I took it my first semester my Junior year). Lots of students either took the class multiple times, or changed majors because of the class (usually taught by one of the tougher profs in the department).

I enjoyed the class though. We had to do a lot of proofs and solve lots of problems with recursive algorithms. It is one of the first classes that taught students that there is more than just being able to hack together some code in order to succeed as a CS major.

DavidB52

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
I enjoyed my Discrete Mathematics course; the topic is still one of my favorites and I do most of my programming in that area. If you have a good grasp of computer programming, the "discrete mathematics" part should be easy enough. Although, every course is different. My background is engineering, so the course I took was intended for solving N Equations in N Unknowns, computing eigenvalues, finding the roots of a function, determining computer round-off error, being aware of delta epsilon, etc. Writing programs for these tasks uses the same old tools over and over again: do-loops, for-loops, arrays, if-statements, etc. You are really not using many of a language's tools. You can write all these types of programs without having to get into Objects, instantiation, linked lists, etc.--all the more "glamorous" features of the "sexy" languages nowadays.

So if you are a hot-shot programmer, this course might bore you, because you are not learning more about the language and pushing the envelope.

On the other hand, I find it very satisfying to write programs that produce useful results for real-world problems. The programs I wrote were useful to me for solving some of my own problems; they weren't just word processor simulator programs that an instructor chose as an assignment simply for the sake of giving students an assignment.

leadership.org9

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
discete math

i have A question
is discrete math a required math
or an elective cause i have to many electives
so im hopin its a required math
and what is it exactly??

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
i have A question
is discrete math a required math
or an elective cause i have to many electives
so im hopin its a required math
and what is it exactly??

It's only required if your degree program says you have to take it.

Discrete Math is basically whatever kind of math they can't categorize. It can be very simple things like simple logic problems to more complex things like extreme probability, pathfinding, things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.