Anyone ever taken apart a Cinema Display

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iJon, May 14, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I hear all kinds of peoeple taking apart their ipod, ibook, and so forth. i never hear anyone taking apart your apple flat panel. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried, from looking at it it doesnt seem very difficult, but i have a feeling i am very wrong. i am just curious, i have no intent of doing this, just want to know what it was like if someone else has.

iJon

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

what would the point be? I mean with the ipod and computers, the point is to see everything layed out, but with the display its just the display, i mean there is nothing else right?

3. ozubahn macrumors regular

That's the answer, I think. Most of the interesting technology in a flat panel is in the backlight, the polarizers, and the filters (which determine color, viewing angle, etc). It is hard to learn anything about those components by just taking apart the case and looking at them. The only other stuff is the driver/interface circuitry and power supply, which are pretty much known quantities. Also, there is the price. If you screw up an iPod, it is $300 wasted. Screw up your Cinema Display and it is at least $2000. :)

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

glad to see someone agrees with me :)

5. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

i think that's kinda the point of iJon asking
    it would be interesting to see what's inside an lcd just for the fact that it seems to have not much to it from the exterior. just to see what's hiding in there and what it physically looks like

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Without wasting 2000 on a cinema display only to take it apart, here is what a good website has to say:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm