Anyone ever taken time off school?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Nov 8, 2004.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I ask this cause it crosses my mind from time to time. Technically I am in my third semester in college, first semester at a major University. Community college last year in my spare time. Basically I have f***ed up in a couple of classes. I probably wouldn't be so down if my excellent GPA from my past school contributed to my one now, but my University only transfers credits, not GPA. I have amounts of pressure put on me by my mom and it makes me feel worthless and depressed at times. I can't fight with her cause she has her masters and most of you all know of my parents business (Apple Reseller) which has been going strong for 19 years now.

I just feel I might not be ready for college yet. I really do enjoy going to class, learning new things, taking great notes but I always screw it up somewhere. I feel college should be something more than school and in my mind I don't know if I'm taking full advantage.

Back to my original question. I have lived in this damn town all 19 years of my life. Yes I have traveled parts of the world but I always wind back up in good ol' Arkansas. I have sold Macs for the past 5 years and I am pretty sick of, at least at my current business. I am tempted to just take some time off, move to a new city and get by on my own for a year or so. I know I won't have all the lavishes and benefits of being with my rich parents but I feel I will be happier knowing I can do this on my own. Getting a job, paying for a small apartment, paying for my own food and all the things in between. I feel after doing that I will feel more dependent on myself and maybe come back to go to school here or somewhere else and feel more prepared and look more forward to it.

Keep in mind this is somewhat of a rant on myself (might also be incoherent, it's late) and it's been a bad day for me. We just have to the coolest group of people on this forum and I always love the informative answers I get so I thought I would throw the question out there.

jon

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have contemplated it, and i might have to between my ba and ma/phd, but ultimately its up to you and your situation, also depends on where you want to move and what you want to do with your life, if you really have absolutely no clue, i would be more for taking time off to decide and experence some stuff to get an idea of what you want to do. Personally i was fortunate in the fact that i knew what i wanted to do, and its just getting there that is hard for me, especially this semester for personal reasons. But i can totally understand that taking time off would be benefical for some people, but like i said, in the long run its up to you and what you need to do to figure things out

keep us posted though, we are here to help

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

I am good at business, simple as that. Like I said it's my blood and I know all the ins and outs of running a business. I can easily do retail cause I am a damn good salesman. I could always move to another city and work at an Apple store simply cause I have many high up connections in Apple, plus I am Apple certified in all those fields. I could easily walk in there and start right away with only training the point of sale computers. Thing is that would be basically what I am doing now. Whatever I think though becomes more and more appealing as I wake up every morning knowing my mom will bitch about something. I've also considered just joining the Navy. I love to travel and come from a military background. My initial plan was to graduate and go in as an officer to get better pay and skip all the bulls***. Just many options and thoughts running through my head. I'll figure something out eventually. No matter what I do, if it fails I can always admit defeat and bring my sorry ass back hom.

jon

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Especially for the first year or two, it really is for the most part "just school." It should get a little more interesting after you get past the bulk of the core and can spend a little more time on whatever you choose as your major.

If it's too much of a grind and you don't feel like you're doing your best, maybe you could shift down to a part-time course load for a semester or two? It can be very tough to get back into the swing of things if you take time off (some people can jump right back in without problems, but it doesn't work for everyone).

Have you looked into exchange student programs? That might be a way to get away from the cabin fever and still sort of stay in the game.

5. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

I will pretty much be taking a part time load next semester. Basically half ifs my business classes and the other is some blow off computer classes :) and ball room dancing for electives. In the beginning I wanted to save my electives for interesting classes, not really easy A's. But my screw up's this semester leaves me no choice.

My friends tell me if I take time off it will be hard for me to get back into the jist of things. I don't know how I would react but if I don't shapen things up I might have to take that risk.

jon

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it would be hard to get back into the jist of things, unless you were determined

the only problem i am seeing is this, you have a business background, thats fine, you do business, and you do it well you say, BUT that doesnt mean thats what you want to do with your life. I mean yeah im good at some things, could be better if i applied myself to them, but i LOVE literature and the English language, which is why, even though there are less jobs, i am an English major, i am a very creative writer, and i am on page six of a work in progress poem right now.

my point there in my little rant/tangent is that just because you are good at something doesnt mean you have to do that, there might be something that would make you Happier in the long run that might be better off for you.

my best advice would be to at least see this semester through, try and focus on the day to day, meditate, go to church, whatever, get some rest and relaxation and try to figure things out piece by piece rather than rushing into something

7. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

This wouldn't be something I rush into even though it sounds like it. I will stick out this semester cause I have already paid for it and already have my classes signed up. My mind just runs wild like this when I feel like this.

Your right about knowing what to do.I am good a business but I don't know if I love it. I can't count on taken over the family business cause with Apple's strong dominance in the market it might not be here when I am much older. Although I think it's a long time before we see a store in my area if one ever, it's always a possibility.

Hopefully my trip to Mexico in a couple of weeks and my trip to Egypt for New Years will help me think and clear my mind as well as Europe did.

jon

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Geez, just take the time off. People in other countries defer a year all the time. Its just more of a rare thing in good ol' America, that's all. It's very common in Australia, and people in Europe do it all the time as well. Heck, some Scandinavian people I know are 24-25 and still getting their first Uni degree in London. No big deal. School will always be there next year.

9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I took a year off from school, and jumped right back into it with more enthusiasm and gusto then when I left, which made it much easier. In fact it was because of that year off that I decided to change my major from something I had always been good at (computer science), to something I love (history). If school isn't working for you I'd definately recommend taking time off. Like Abstract said, it's much more common in other areas of the world, and even is rather common in people getting their graduate degrees in the United States.

10. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

That's good to hear. A lot of my decisions will come after I talk to my fraternity and next how next semester goes. I have to talk to my fraternity to see if I can still get initiated if I am below my mark. On a side note, before people assume, the frat is not the reason of my piss poor performance. They are more then generous on study time and understand what comes first. This is probably becuase much of the fraternity is business or pre med, lots of study time involved.

If I may ask, why did you leave shcool for a year?

jon

11. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I left because I was underachieving at school, and didn't feel motivated. So I decided to see was it was like out in the real world, as I too had always lived with my very well off parents. It really helped me to mature and act a lot more like an adult. And after struggling and working hard for a year to make ends meet, taking classes was a breeze.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I've taken time off, and it is very hard to get back into the swing of things.

I am sruggling with it right now as a matter of fact.

13. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

That's exactly how I feel. As independent I feel sometimes I am hardly close. I think it would be a huge wake up call for me to do as you do. I think it would be wise to experience that feeling sooner as opposed to after graduating.

jon

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have been taking time off for the past 2 years and still can't get motivated to start again. Beware its hard to start again once you have stopped for a period of time.

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

It is hard, unless you determine that you'll only take one year off, and then tell all your friends to nag you to go back after that one year. :p

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Yeah, the hardest will be when your parents offer to help you out when you are having a hard time affording things. On one hand you can't afford food, on the other hand you would be compromising your independance. Although it sounds like you can easily get a well paying job (even if you don't enjoy it), I on the other hand didn't have any easily marketable skills (nobody wants to hire an unmotivated computer programer with no degree).

17. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Here's some advice from good old scandinavia...

I'm 28 and will finish my degree in architecture in probably 1 1/2 years (that'll be 6,5 years of studying). This is all completely normal around here. Took three years off between school and university working (in a kindergarden) and travelling (costa rica and norway). This certainly didn't make me a worse student...

A lot of my friends from uni have been taking a year off, to work, travel or just hang out (my friend Kasper basically had one long weekend lasting a semester). I just took a semesters internship in Italy to be close to my girlfriend, then I came back and that was not easy!

Take a year off, BUT make a plan, don't just hang around. AND as I and others said - it's not easy to return to school!! Just be aware of that. A year away from those institutions can really give you lots of good experiences and expand your view on the world. Very healthy for any student...

A

18. sgarringer macrumors regular

A lot can happen in a year off. It becomes significantly more difficult to return to school if you have a gf and a kid to support =[

19. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Stick with it, most of us screw up in school in some sort of fashion. I know I did at my tenure at Arkansas. Finish it up and move on, if I remember right you are also pledging, correct me if I'm wrong. When I pledged that was the worst semester of my life, pledging was hell, my grades sucked, my girlfriend cheated on me with my roommate and also my dad died, all in the same semester, but I still stayed in school and I think I am doing good because of it. It is harder to get back into to school then it is to stay in it. You just have the end of semester blues, with finals coming up and everything else coming to a close, things get pretty bad. Just stick with it buckle down and study and party hard. That and get yourself laid, that always worked for me. I was in engineering school and that sucked every single semester so I know what you are talking about.

20. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Could be you are in the wrong field of study too. When I first went to university I was pretty miserable and landed on academic probation after one semester. It wasn't because of partying mind you. After a bit of soul-searching, I came to the conclusion that I had selected my major for all the wrong reasons.

Once I had that epiphany, I moved forward with choosing a path of study that I was interested in as opposed to studying something because it would get me a job. I think most people will agree, that no matter what your major, people will still respect your accomplishment and you will be able to apply learned skills to completely different fields.

It helped greatly that I was also at a state school, but one that was 2.5 hours from home. It allowed me the freedom I needed to grow and live on my own, yet still have some financial support from my parents, so I wasn't totally focused on just working to stay afloat.

21. oreo macrumors member

I didn't start univeristy until I was 28, did loads of other jobs until I had found what i wanted to do with my life. I even started the course but after a year took a year off to get myself together (I split up from my husband. It was a good thing to have a year off & if you not sure if you've picked the right course or not happy, I'd say go for it. You are still young, so there is nothing to stop you going back.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i took time off from college from late 87 to mid 92...it was a good break and i returned motivated and finished up with strong grades

unlike high school, there is no set age to graduate from college so you can take as little or as much time off as you want...and unlike high school, college often continues long after a person graduates with a degree

one third of the junior college in my area is attended by people who have a bachelor's degree or higher and there also many who are in their 30s or older going for their first college degree