Anyone feel some of the Wii commercials might actually be hurting its image?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chone, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I've seen some of the "Wii would like to play" commercials lately and honestly I don't think they make the Wii look cool as much as it makes it look dorky, there were some teasers released before the Wii where there was a cook chopping, some ladies playing whatever, a grandpa fishing or something like that, that was pretty awesome but the current ones... if it wasn't because I already know the Wii is fun, I'd be pretty turned away by those commercials.

But that is just me, what do you think?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They do exactly what they say on the tin.

They get people who would never touch a game to look at them and sit in the mind.

When people asked what I got for xmas and I said a wii, they knew what it was basically with the reply 'oh thats the one where you do this (mimicks hand gesture)'. These were not young people by anymeans, and i was surprised they knew what it was.

So it must be working.

3. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

Thats a good point but it might also be turning away some of the gamers... but then again a gamer doesn't judge a console by commercials (even the most casual of gamers read IGN :p ) so yeah maybe its drawing people in but I still think the commercials could be much better.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

a gamer as you already said knows what a wii is and what it does.

For the wii to achieve its potential and ultimatley its purpose for nintendo it has to reach those that would never touch a games console, and a 40-70 year old isnt going to care too much about 'coolness' factor of an ad.

Personally I think they need to keep up the good work.

I was asked if I had the one (game) with the weights and the champagne, so they clearly remember a fleeting glimpse of the advertisment.

They wouldnt know a 360 ad if it came and bit them on the bum.

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Exactly what MRU said. Over Christmas I had a relative ask me if I had bothered to pick up a PS3, when I said no and that I had been trying to get a Nintendo Wii, though... someone else (an uncle) spoke up and said "oh! that's the one with the motion sensitivity, I saw the commercials - it looks so awesome!"

I was surprised the marketing was so far reaching, he isn't someone I would have thought would go buy a game console, but he seemed excited about it and thought it looked like the coolest thing he had ever seen.

People like us don't even need advertised to. :)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Unfortunately their advertising is working. Nintendo never focused on adverts in the UK, but the DS Lite and now the Wii have been displayed everywhere and they're selling incredibly well. I couldn't care less about the image, I'm not a teeny kinda guy who just *has* to be playing the latest fad game or the lastest violent/sex (*delete as applicable) game.

Everyone and their uncle, grandparents and neighbours want a Wii here. and it's making it very hard for us actual gamers to get a system.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I cant believe how many Wii commercials they actually have on TV, it's seems like almost every other ad break there's the wii, and they schedule them really well. Like in the middle of Coronation Street, on SkyNews etc. All programs where they are going to reach a larger & maturer/family audience.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Classic FM were giving away a free Wii, and TalkSport kept bringing up the system yesterday (they said that prisons have bought 45,000 Wii's because it's what inmates asked for). 2 very different audiences you wouldn't even think twice of playing video games. very posh older folk (though I like it :p ) and fat, balding sports thugs (again, I like :p :p ).

My granddad keeps seeing adverts so they must be popping up on his TV shows too. They are everywhere :eek:

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Wii ads are starting to die down now but I think they are effective....they stick to the point although they aren't that good but they do what they were made for.

wii would like to play ;)
    What are wii playing with sir...hope it ain't that thing...uhh no the other thing.

Bless