Anyone from Bristol (UK)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tymmz, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Hi people,

I'm planning to move for at least half a year to Bristol. I'll be working near Westbury Park. I would appreciate any advice on how I can find a good accommodation and what the expected rent would be. I favour the move to a shared flat (students, young people,...), because I already live together with four other people.

Cheers and thanks a lot!

Tymmz

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I dont live in Bristol but i have been there a few times, There are two Big colleges in Bristol 1 being Bristol University and the other is Bristol Polytechnic, therefore they cater well for students, you should try and contact the university and see if you can get a dorm at one of there campuses, SOrry i couldnt help more,

Shadow

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I've recently moved away from Bristol into Somerset, so not too far away. I lived there, in various areas, for 8 years and love the place, really moved away for more affordable housing!

Being a large uni city, which has a high retention rate of students after graduation, there are loads of flat/house shares available. If I were you and you enjoy the night life then Clifton, Cotham, Redland, etc. is the place for you to be looking. Westbury Park isn't that far from those sort of areas, you'd be able to walk or get a bus (public transport isn't as good as Berlin but it's ok). As for the cost it depends on the place and how many you are sharing with but I'd budget for £300-£400 sharing and £500-£650 for a 1 bed flat.

Venue is a good local mag that has things to do and accommodation too. I'll see if I can find the names of the local flat rental places and post some links.

It's a pretty social place and, IMHO, is a great place to live.

You could try something like this:

http://www.clickflatshare.co.uk/Bristol/
    or google for "flat sharing in bristol" and you get loads of similar.

4. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Thanx for your advices. As soon as I get an okay from my (hopefully) new employee I will check for some shared flats. I hope I can start in Feburary. I'm pretty excited.

5. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Good for you, if you need any advice or have any questions then feel free to ask away or pm me.

6. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I'll do. thx

7. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

So, it's final, almost! Just need to sign the contract.

On the 19th March I'll start working in Bristol. Does anyone knows somebody over there, who needs to let a room?

Of course I'll check some internet sites for shared apartments, but why not ask MR first.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

bristol is a pretty nice place, my sister used to live near the park, it's a bit of a dodgy area but nothing compared to london., now she lives near the clifton village.

9. Lau Guest

I'm in Bath (10 miles away). I don't know anyone personally looking for a flatmate/lodger, but I'll keep my eye out for any flat sharing notices at college.

I'm afraid I can't help you very much with areas that are good in Bristol because I'm not from round here, and don't know Bristol well enough to know where is really dodgy. However, if you see a room somewhere and want to know what the area's like, post the area here and I may know it, or can certainly find out. Clifton's definitely nice (although quite expensive).

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'm probably going to be living their october onwards.