Anyone from Maastricht?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jamesmcd, Jun 14, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Anyone from Maastricht in the Netherlands, crammed between Belgium and Germany?

I am seriously thinking of doing a year (2007) of my Degree there at the Maastricht University's business/economics faculty.

It would be nice if someone from there could throw some photos at me, or maybe just give their opinion of the place. What languages are spoken there mainly? Obviously Dutch, but I have heard that English and French are also very common.

Maybe some avid mac user could provide me with accommodation for a year? :) :D

2. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

3. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

All I know about that area is that Nike has a warehouse somewhere around there...other than that I've only been to Hilversum, Utrecht, and Amsterdam (and will be back on Monday!) in Holland...sorry I can't be of more help!

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

i went there on a business trip a couple of years ago. We had a nondescript meal in a nondescript restaurant, but we did end up in this crazy bar on the square with a girl dancing in a palm tree leaf skirt (think Baloo in Jungle Book) on a stage built on milk crates, turf covering the floor and a stunning blonde dutch girl selling shots of a vile tasting vodka (who could speak better English than we could!).

Not sure how it fares in the day time or if I could live there for a year, but it was certainly a good night.

5. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

It turns out I might only be doing half a year (for the better I think). In terms of language, I can speak French, English and German, but I have never had any experience with Dutch. Apparently this is fine there though.

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well language-wise you'll be clear, the Dutch speak impeccable English and German quite often.

I'd really consider the opportunity of living anywhere a bit different for just six months. I lived in France for that amount of time and it was superb.