Anyone from US working in UK or Ireland?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Giaguara, May 14, 2004.

1. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    Anyone here from US & with US citizenship (not EU), working in UK or Ireland?

I would like to know how easy it is for US-citizens to get a working visa for these countries (EU, in particular UK and Ireland).

Is it easier/ faster if you are married to a EU citizen (from an EU country enabled to work in these countries)?
  2. erik1975 macrumors member

Aug 20, 2002
    I am a US citizen, living and working in the UK. I have been here since September and have a work permit that is valid for Five years. My family recieved Visa's for the same duration.

What I can not help you with much on the difficulties on the whole process, snce my company did most of the work.

I can tell you that from when I had the job offer, to when I moved here for my first day of work; was a period of no more than three months.

Keep in mind that you need to send your passports in to New York in order to have the documents processed!
  3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    My dad did that too for about 6 months. Also working for his company.
  4. Giaguara thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    erik, do you know if it would be less hassle for that working/ staying visa, if the US citizen married a EU citizen (whose citizenship allows to work in UK and Ireland)?

I know getting married never resolves any real problems in life, but if it .. would work the way it works the otehr way around (the legend of it working to the other side of the ocean aka USA), it might as well work vice versa. :confused: