Anyone gaming on a 20" imac with Windows as well?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ipoddin, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Looking at the 20" iMac with the 256mb ATI card. Anyone dual booting with Windows XP that can report on how well current games like HL2, FEAR, etc...hold up?

2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

It should work just as well as on any Windows box with the same processor and video card.

3. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Ok, I don't have anything like that to compare it with. Don't know how good the card actually is. Here's what I have as my gaming PC:

P4 2.6ghz oc'd to 3ghz
    2gb ram
    Geforce 6800 w/ 128mb ram

Those games play very well on my pc and have many of the features turned on to look really good.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It'll be just as good if not better, due to the extra VRAM, and the addition of Shader Model 3.0 and HDR effects.

5. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I have a 20" iMac with all the stats maxed out, just I don't use Windows on it. :( But I can tell you that it's damn fast. I don't think you'll have any trouble. I was running Tremulous at 90fps today. :)

6. anchov13 macrumors newbie

Haha, i actually just bought fear today. I turned up a few of the details to maximum. I ran a test and I got an average fps of 56 with a maxiumum of 111. Running on 20" imac w/ 1g ram 128mb ati card. It ran smoothly, with some (but not bad) blockiness around other people. Pretty much it was good enough for me to play it to the point where i was about schizophrenic. :p

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I hope Cider brings more games to OS X. Cause I'm never putting Windows on this baby. *smootches iMac*

8. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I have a 20" iMac with 256mb vram and 1gb ram. Runs like a dream!

Dropped bootcamp on a while ago and installed HL2 and all details maxed out at 1600x1200 I was getting 102fps and the lowest I saw was 96fps. Awesome!

Also ran CS:S and never saw it drop below 100fps.

Doom 3 ran awesome but can't remember all the settings I had on.

GP4 (i know) ran the best I've ever seen with everything maxed out.

Best thing on my iMac though..............ScummVM :)

9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well... an X1600 256 MB should keep up with the 6800 128 MB. Even though the 6800 is an older card, it has higher memory clocks than the X1600 and a 256-bit memory interface unlike the X1600.

The 2 GHz Core Duo of the iMac will perform just as well as your 3 GHz P4. I think that the difference in gaming between the two will be small, but noticeable.

Oh, by the way we're expecting an update to the iMac in a few weeks which should add a better graphics card (X1600 Pro? X1650 Pro? X1800 GTO?) and a faster processor (A Merom or Conroe above the 2 GHz mark).

The X1600 is a weak card so the extra VRAM only makes about a 5% difference. Also the 6800 is a Shader Model 3.0 card.

10. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

If only I could have waited. But I couldn't.
    School was calling, and I had $4000 burning a hole in my pocket.
    I guess I'll be okay with 2GHz until I figure I need to upgrade this thing.
    (or if I can replace the processor, as rumored?)

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Any likelihood of this reaching the MBPs? And how many weeks is "a few"?

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can replace the processor with another Yonah or Merom, but on these Intel iMacs, the only way to get to its guts is through the screen I think.

I think I've said in the past, Apple's options with the MBP's graphics card are:

1) Nothing
    2) 256 MB standard on all models
    3) Mobility Radeon X1800 (massive performance boost).
    4) Mobility Radeon X1800 XT (ridiculous performance boost).
    5) GeForce Go 7800/Go 7800 GTX

I'm hoping (and I think it's reasonable to assume) Apple will go with 2) and 3). Processor-wise, it's definitely getting a Merom (could be at the same clocks as today's models or could use the 2.33 GHz model). As for a few weeks, umm... no later than the end of September really. :)

13. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Well I certainly wouldn't do it myself. :) That's what Columbus Computers is for.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the processor is on the wrong side of the motherboard too, just to be even more awkward. I will consider upgrading it, but would need someone to do it - i'm hoping someone at the main repair center mught do it for me....

15. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Thanks for the replies, some useful info on real world gaming and how the card performs. Think I'll be patient and see what Apple has up it's sleeves in the next couple of weeks. But now I'm leaning towards the iMac - espeically since I already have another 20" widescreen lcd so that'll come in handy for video and photo editing.