Anyone Get a PSP??

Discussion in 'Games' started by rtdgoldfish, Mar 24, 2005.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Went to my local Wal-Mart at 10:30 last night and waited to get a PSP at midnight. All I can say is this is a really awesome peice of work by Sony. I saw the pictures online but they do not do any justice to the unit itself. The screen is much bigger than I thought it would be.

Anyone else get one at midnight last night?? There ended up being about 20 of us at Wal-Mart and they had about 30 of the units. Going to pick up another game later today. Wondering if the systems will be sold out everywhere within a day like the PS2 was.

And what games did everyone get?? I picked up Untold Legends. Haven't played it too much as I have been trying out all the media features. I need a bigger Memory Stick. The 32mb it comes with is way too small to put very much on.

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Can you post some pics. I am mighty interested to see what one of these things look like.

DjVoTeZ

3. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I just got mine at 8:00 today at GameStop and got two games along with it: Tony Hawk Underground 2 and Twisted Metal.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Not a very good picture but here you go:

[​IMG]

This the Japanese PSP / DS - I ended up selling the DS a little after this photo was taken.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that thing looks really freakin awesome. my brother preordered one from gamestop and he's probably picking it up after school today. i might get one in mid-april if i can find one :eek:

6. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

If I can contain myself I'm going to try and wait it out until the summer. Hopefully it'll be cheaper or it'll come bundled with games I'd actually be interested in. Also if there are any major problems with the launch model it'll probably be revised by then.

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

how thick is it?

how does it work to play movies on it?

for example, if i have a dvd, how would i get to the point where i would be able to play on there? is it possible via ripping and putting on memory card?.. what kind of memory cards does it use? sony proprietary brand or a universal type like sd, etc...

where are the speakers?..how is the sound?

8. manicdvln macrumors member

You can play movies either by buying official UMD media from retail stores, which only play on your PSP or ripping movies with special software to convert them into media formats supported by PSP and uploading to memory stick with USB cable (not included in PSP Value Pack).

It only supports sony proprietary brand. Memory stick pro duo. Sandisk also makes them, and cost a bit less.

9. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

just got mine last night at midnight...

love it. absolutely love it. Still really love my DS too. i think they are two different animals completely. I find myself wishing it had a touchscreen though!

beautiful display. get iPSP if you get one. nice little app.

10. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

This may be a little off topic, but...

Has anyone noticed that on one of the commercials for PSP, they guy listening to the music has the white earbuds, and then when it shows the music icon for a split second, it kinda looks like the itunes logo? Or is it just me?

I wonder sometimes if companies do things like that on purpose as sort of a subliminal way to ride the coat tails of onother products success.

Buuuut. Any hooo. System does look sweet, though. Unfortunately, I'm well beyond my portable gaming stage. I'd rather not bother with such a tiny screen.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i might buy a PSP when the price drops and when they're old. probably in 2 years or so. they look alright but at the moment there is absolutely nothing pulling me towards it.

that said the same goes for the DS, only the addictiveness of WarioWare dragged me in.

12. shortyjj macrumors regular

I've been drooling for months, kept telling myself that I don't NEED it, to at least wait until prices came down...

Called my girlfriend this morning, she went to the Best Buy next door to her office, grabbed the last one.

13. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I think that PSP and DS are for different demographics. PSP is more aimed towards high-end users, with its capabilities. DS is aimed towards people that want quick interactive fun. Either way, I think both will do well, but the psp is going to be held back by it's high price. lol, why buy 1 screen when you can get 2 for $100 less.

14. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Just got one this morning. How do you get the memory stick to mount when hooked up via usb to the PSP? I want to use iPSP but I can't get the card to mount.

BTW, I have a DS, and the PSP blows the DS away, the screen is beautiful and the graphics are stunning.

15. Munntendo macrumors newbie

I got my PSP at Wal-Mart at midnight too. There were only about 6 people there when they started selling them ( I was first in line :rolleyes: ) and according to the sales person they had about 60 in stock.

So far I'm quite impressed with it but I do have one little gripe. Has anyone had any luck in connecting to an Aiport basestation with the PSP? I'm not sure why but I keep getting errors when I test the connection. When I enter the password for the WEP it tells me that is invalid. I tried changing my basestation password to one that was compatible with the what the PSP instructions said but it doesn't seem to connect.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Got mine this morning, and have been playing with it for the past few hours. Freakin' AWESOME... I love Wipeout Pure.

Sadly, though, I have noticed a couple of dead pixels on mine... they only appear with a light background, however, and are totally imperceptible during game play. (One benefit to having a small, but still high-res screen.) I may check with the local EBGames to see what their policy is regarding this... but no biggie, like I said the dead pixels are invisible during gameplay.

17. shortyjj macrumors regular

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You have to buy it in UMD format, or buy a Memory Stick Duo (it's a sony format but sold by many vendors, 1 GB costs about $150) and illegally rip the DVD and reduce the quality and put it on the memory stick.

The PSP is for games. It's not a very good media player. For the price of being able to use it as a media player you could buy an iPod AND a portable DVD player with a higher resolution.

Don't buy the PSP for media capabilities. If you want it, get it for games.

19. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yes, I used iPSP to try and snyc protected AAC files and it didn't work, but the iPSP site says the unprotected work just fine it converts to mp3 on the fly. I also uploaded photos and convereted a quictime movie and put it on there, it worked like a charm.

The SpiderMan 2 UMD that came with it is awsome, the quality is great, the screen on the PSP is amazing, its really bright and crisp, I love how there are several brightness levels easy to change right on the front.

With all the messing around I have not even begun to play any games! I got THUG2 and lumines. The PSP blows the DS out of the water, graphics screen and extras wise. But it all comes down to the games, and they are completely different systems. I will prolly sell my DS and keep the PSP, i don't need 2 portable systems.

20. Munntendo macrumors newbie

Are you using the full version or the demo? I tried converting a .mov video to .mp4 using the unregistered version and it ran into an error while encoding.

21. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

iPSP..

you have to go to the usb utility on the PSP menu and hit the x button while connected. the memory stick will then mount to your desktop. (make sure you format the card on the PSP before you try and connect it to your mac and use iPSP! Have fun!

technocoy

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The good news is that I spoke to EBGames here in Charlotte, and they are going to allow me to exchange my PSP for another PSP when they get some more in stock... even if Sony doesn't extend the warranty to cover dead pixels, EBGames is going to do the right thing. Kudos to them!

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Can someone explain to me how these things are different than any other product that you can return to a store within the next week or so for basically no questions asked or with the flimsiest of reasons (my girlfriend bought me one already, my dad made me take it back, etc.)?

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is that certain places (Circuit City, CompUSA, etc.) charge restocking fees if you return things that aren't defective. So, then the question becomes, What is defective, exactly? My definition, WRT LCDs, is "one or more dead pixels right out of the box". Sony, according to the e-mail from some other company (I forget their name right now), apparently is of the opinion that dead pixels are par for the course and they ain't servicing that issue under warranty.

Ultimately, here's what will happen in my case:

1. I go to EBGames and show them the problem I'm having.
    2. They either (a) refuse to exchange the product, in which case I demand a full refund, or (b) exchange the product for one that has no dead pixels, in which case I am happy.
    3. The defective PSP then either gets sold as a refurb or goes back to Sony. Undoubtedly, Sony will just "ho hum" the issue and accept the return.

The more I think about it, the more I think that statement about "defective pixels ain't covered" is mainly intended to prevent a lot of exchanges at a time when supply is short.