Anyone get GrabMac to work? Any tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by allan_zip, Mar 30, 2006.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I needed an app to grab stills from a dvd i had made. More specifically i needed it to run automatically on a timer. MacGrab seemed the perfect tool. The timer worked amazingly and i left it for the best part of an hour while the app did its thing. When i went to look at the captures afterwords, not only were they all of the same still (despite all having seperate prefix numbers) but they had this weird kind of black pixel effect all over them. Worse still when viewed in photoshop the portion of the dvd screen was totally black with small white specks!?!
    Has anyone got this to work or know of an app that will kick it?

2. TAV macrumors regular

I use GrabMac all the time. Not sure what steps you followed to set it up initially, but in case it helps, here's what I do:

1) Launch the GrabMac app.

2) Open the video or DVD file. I typically shrink the video to 3/4 or 1/2 size for sharper resolution grabs.

3) Click "change" in the GrabMac window. Set the "time" (initial countdown to start, screenshot total and interval between shots).

4) Set the "area" by dragging the area bar around the video window.

5) Set the "file destination."

6) I start the video first, then hit "start" in GrabMac's control window and off I go.

FYI: I always set up GrabMac and then take a couple of quick test grabs to make sure my window is sized correctly and that the grabs land in the proper destination folder.

3. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

I've no problems setting it up. I'm currently trying other dvd players for osx, i'm getting images if i capture off VLC but it's way more sluggish than Apple DVD player and is causing the captured image to appear fragmented on scenes where the camera moves alot, i guess my g3 is showing it's age there.