Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
On Yosemite I had to install the latest development kit to get Minecraft to run with Java 6.

Currently I use this to launch it with terminal:
java -d64 -jar /Applications/Minecraft.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Bootstrap.jar

Any luck getting the latest Minecraft on El Capitan?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
On Yosemite I had to install the latest development kit to get Minecraft to run with Java 6.

Java 6? I'm using Java8 on Yosemite with a little launch icon in the toolbar. Should work perfectly on El Capitan as well, but I haven't done any 'playing' with minecraft on my test machine. I think we are still several months out before Capitan goes GM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.53.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.53.33 AM.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 394

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Java 6? I'm using Java8 on Yosemite with a little launch icon in the toolbar. Should work perfectly on El Capitan as well, but I haven't done any 'playing' with minecraft on my test machine. I think we are still several months out before Capitan goes GM.

That's really crazy. For whatever reason I couldn't get mine to launch for the life of me. The last time I downloaded a new launcher was when Yosemite first released though. I guess they updated the launcher and I'm oblivious?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I gave up on waiting for them to provide a launcher that is self-contained with whatever java they want built into it. Some time ago I read they were working on that. It might have been before Microsoft acquired them. I forget now. Anyway, it took so long to provide a working game that does not depend on a java install that I removed it and that's that.

Hopefully, I will enjoy Terraria when I get around to it which finally has a Mac version.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
That's really crazy. For whatever reason I couldn't get mine to launch for the life of me. The last time I downloaded a new launcher was when Yosemite first released though. I guess they updated the launcher and I'm oblivious?
I ran a quick google to see if someone had created a tutorial on how to do it. Here is just about exactly what I did:
http://www.poweredbyredstone.net/?p=3787

No Java6 was harmed for this entertainment.

lowercasej

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Kingston, Ontario

Apologies if you already figured this out, but Mojang actually released a new Minecraft launcher for OS X on Sept 11. Simply download it from minecraft.net as you normally would (you have to do this...the existing launcher won't update to it). It doesn't require Java to be installed - it downloads a runtime for you, as I believe the Windows launcher does. Note that I have not tried it in El Capitan - I have only ran it in Yosemite (10.10.5), but it works well. Hopefully this solves your problem!

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
That's cool. I haven't been playing recently but I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Apologies if you already figured this out, but Mojang actually released a new Minecraft launcher for OS X on Sept 11. Simply download it from minecraft.net as you normally would (you have to do this...the existing launcher won't update to it). It doesn't require Java to be installed - it downloads a runtime for you, as I believe the Windows launcher does. Note that I have not tried it in El Capitan - I have only ran it in Yosemite (10.10.5), but it works well. Hopefully this solves your problem!

Thanks! I've been waiting ages for this. I just installed it and it works great here on 10.10.5

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with 10.11. At least not for me.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hm, are there any more information about this new launcher? Because what I just downloaded (dated September 15) still wants me to install Java 6.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Hm, are there any more information about this new launcher? Because what I just downloaded (dated September 15) still wants me to install Java 6.

Launcher 1.6.44 (i think thats the latest one) just hangs on start up for me with a white window and a beachball until I force quit. If I delete the app and reinstall it opens once but then hangs the next time. Seems to be some major issues with this launcher.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Okay, it seems that somehow the old (Java) version of the MC launcher interfered with the new one. I had to download a preview version of the new launcher from here, run that and let it do its tricks, and only after that, the new launcher worked for me.

lowercasej

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Okay, it seems that somehow the old (Java) version of the MC launcher interfered with the new one. I had to download a preview version of the new launcher from here, run that and let it do its tricks, and only after that, the new launcher worked for me.

Glad you got it working. Definitely replace the old launcher with the new one. I'm not sure how the old launcher would interfere unless there were assets related to launching in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft. So it might make sense to make a fresh start by backing up saves, resource packs, etc., deleting the minecraft folder, then running the new launcher and putting those things back once the launcher re-downloads the game assets.

For what it's worth, you shouldn't have to download the launcher from that reddit thread, the download page on minecraft.net points to the latest version of the launcher.

One thing to note (which is pointed out in that reddit post) is that this new launcher requires Mountain Lion (10.8), which isn't explicitly documented on the minecraft.net download page - they only say, "If you are using an older version of Mac OS X..." with a download link to the (legacy) launcher.

Hopefully this this helpful to someone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.