Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, that right jolts from the case of your MBP? Im getting shocked by the front side of the case. No idea what has caused this.

I spoke to apple and they want my book in for testing, but then i got another call saying that its normal to get a slight shock and they started to blame it on static (human) build up?!? I know for a fact that, static isn't the problem here.
I dont have anyway of proving that my book is doing this, it seem to happen randomly.

If i get my MBP back and they say there is 'nothing wrong' with it, what can i do?

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Thank for that thread.

It seem that no one has had any luck fixing it? well no replies atleast.
Lol im not having much luck = deadly battery, buzzing noises, MAJOR heat, screen humming, doesnt always goto sleep, doesnt always wake up.....

I wish apple would just replace it.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I might ask for that very thing (replace) when the MBP finally goes into the shop again. I was going to do it within the next couple of weeks or so but it's Christmas. I'm not entirely sure whether to get it in before the rush of after people get Macbook/Pros for Christmas and they inevitably have to be fixed too :p

It's definitely not static. It's bad engineering.

But does anyone...er... like the buzz from the case? I sometimes find myself stroking the MBP... :eek:

jockeyrob

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2006
Are you using the three-pronged plug? Because maybe you should be.
I heard that that stopped the shocking for some people somewhere on these forums.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I used to get this on my PowerBook , I'm surprised they haven't sorted it for the new Macs.

The "buzz" when you run your hand along it is an extremely strange feeling.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I live in the UK so, 3 pin plugs are standard. Its also not 'dirty earthing', as it happens where ever i am.

I really believe it just bad engineering. Hell i dont get any kind of shock from my desktop, and that got power feeding to it 24/7 and always on; so i dont see why it should be acceptable on a MBP - also when its alot more expensive.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
I live in the UK so, 3 pin plugs are standard. Its also not 'dirty earthing', as it happens where ever i am.

I really believe it just bad engineering. Hell i dont get any kind of shock from my desktop, and that got power feeding to it 24/7 and always on; so i dont see why it should be acceptable on a MBP - also when its alot more expensive.

Dang it! The British are better than us at everything! Or is that the Japanese? Korean?

KipCoon

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2000
ATL
If it doesnt happen year round, then its just because of winter, pending where you live. Static electricity is a pain during the colder months :p

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
well i've had its happen for a good few months now, its just seem to be getting worse, or hurting more?
But i was told it may be the weather, so i set my MBP in a controlled enviroment and it still happened.

KipCoon

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2000
ATL
well i've had its happen for a good few months now, its just seem to be getting worse, or hurting more?
But i was told it may be the weather, so i set my MBP in a controlled enviroment and it still happened.

it's you discharging on the MBP not the macbook discharging on you :)

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Im afraid your wrong, i've always grounded, like i said i know this for a fact.

vultureboy

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Blackpool, UK
When you're plugged in are you using the long extension lead that plugs into the power pack or the direct plug that clips into the power pack.

I find the buzz when i'm using the direct plug but not when using the extension. I presume it's down to earthing in the transformer not being used in the direct plug yet the extension lead would be insulated and grounded properly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.