Anyone going for the 768GB SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Claust, Nov 30, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Any of you ordered the 768gb ssd?

Really considering it, as i need to run a fast bootcamp install, and i am worried that 128gb ssd from the fusion drive (split into 2 drives), is a bit small...

But i hate the idea of paying so much for just 768gb of hdd space. (And i live in Denmark, here the upgrade price for the ssd is insane $1800. That brings a fully loaded 27" above $5000)

2. macrumors 6502

Buy what you can afford.

I recently sold my Retina MacBook Pro, therefore was more cashed up.

Do you have an older mac you could sell on eBay etc?

3. macrumors P6

dukebound85

why not boot from an external thunderbolt ssd. would be cheaper than 1800

4. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Can we boot windows from an external drive?

5. macrumors 68000

No way, you are better off pulling it apart and replacing the regular HDD with a Samsung 830 ssd, waiting for OWC to release compatible blade style SSD or running one from an external TB enclosure.

6. macrumors regular

THOPMedia

7. macrumors member

is iMac 2012 have the temp sensor issue after HD replacement like 2011's?

8. macrumors newbie

Bootcamp does not use fusion... just uses the hd.

9. macrumors 6502

The particular 21.5" model that iFixit took apart had space on the logic board for the SSD connector, but the connector was NOT loaded on the board. So you'll need soldering equipment and skills to install a blade-style SSD.

This was the base model iMac, without the option of Build-To-Order Fusion drive. iFixit speculated that the higher model (where SSD is an option) might have the connector already installed. If that's the case, then the OWC SSD add-on will be a lot more feasible.

10. macrumors 6502a

Razorhog

I did. I want the speed, and lack of moving parts.

11. macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Man I really wanted to, but at the end of the day I opted to use that money towards and external SSD thunderbolt drive. I will run all of my projects off of it and can basically get 2-3x the space for the same price...

12. macrumors 6502a

wish I could have, but already spent $2800 on maxed out imac + $829 on refurn TB display + $170 on 32GB ram + $60 keyboard + iPad mini and iPhone 5 in October, and I am not even sure 768GB would be enough for me 2 years down the road anyway... maybe next time, if 1TB SSD only costs $400 :)

I think I'm going to go for a 512GB external TB or USB3 SSD next year for Aperture library, etc

13. Claust, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Wish I just knew for *sure* that either

a/ You can break apart the fusion disks (software) and run OSX/Win on the 128GB SSD included and use the 3TB as data storage. (and that 128GB is sufficient)

b/ You can run Bootcamp from an external SSD

Can anyone confirm either?

14. macrumors 6502a

You can do the external SSD Bootcamp option.

The fusion setup is something that is at a guess an option when you restore these new iMacs. If it isn't then a simple work around to restore the iMac but once in recovery go to disk utility and format the one drive as something Mountain lion won't install to. After the install finishes simply format the other drive correctly for use.

15. Mac32, Dec 1, 2012

macrumors 6502a

I did go for the 768gb SSD option, but it was almost painful to hit the order button. I could have nearly bought an extra iMac for the price of the SSD feature. But, after starting using SSD 4 years ago, I've decided to never use another computer with regular HDs again. One thing is speed, another thing is temperatur. I should think (just an educated guess) that the 768gb SSD iMac should run more cool and silent than the HD and fusion drive versions.

16. macrumors regular

No you cannot. Bootcamp will only allow you to choose an internal drive.

17. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

hell no! im just gonna pop in my 500gb samsung 840 that i got for 379$

18. hfg, Dec 1, 2012

hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

I reluctantly ordered the 768GB SSD option for my 27" iMac, although it is grossly overpriced (as are a lot of nice things in life ;) ). I don't want ANY rotating hard disks in my iMac, especially after seeing the iFixit tear-down with the adhesive tape! This will be all SSD for me.

I am replacing my aging all-SSD Mac Pro with this iMac, so the cost is actually comparable. Having the large SSD allows me to have a SSD-based Windows installation, plus adequate OS X installation, all internal, and I will move my existing 1TB SSD RAID-0 photo library to an external Thunderbolt LaCie enclosure which I have already built and tested.

Can't wait to get it ....

EDIT: Adding an external 1TB SSD with fast enclosure is around $1000 cost, but that is still more capacity for somewhat less $$$ than the 768GB internal ... but it does put it in perspective.

-howard

19. macrumors newbie

Will never happen. Unless you buy a fusion hybrid drive or the SSD, the logicboard doesn't have the connector installed.

----------

Yes you can.

----------

Nearly? The base iMac is $1300!

20. hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

That was a startling revelation in the iFixIt teardown ... I don't understand why they would omit the connector on the motherboard for the SSD drive. I would think any cost savings would be offset by only building / stocking a single motherboard for all models.

That will put a damper on DIY adding a SSD to the HD only models, in addition to the sticky-tape seal around the display to get into it! :mad:

21. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea thats what i thought! For a sec i was like this is good news!

22. macrumors 601

talmy

Why not boot on the internal drive and have an Thunderbolt SSD drive formatted HTFS to hold programs and data for Windows?