Anyone going to MacWorld 2006?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Diavilo1, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Diavilo1 macrumors member

Just talked with my boss and he gave me to the go ahead to go!

2. vniow macrumors G4

I will be, at least one of the days its open...

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I wonder what kind of attention you'd get there if you walked around wearing Macrumors.com apparel. :cool:

4. Diavilo1 thread starter macrumors member

It would be like a huge family reunion!

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I'll be there!

Got my plane tickets and hotel reservations so I'm good to go.

Heh, yeah, I was thinking of wearing my MacRumors t-shirt! LOL! :D

OTB

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Sunday to Saturday at the Marriott... check
    IT track... check
    Discover Card... check
    Beer... checkcheckcheckcheckcheck.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

wait...we have shirts:confused:

8. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Defiantly!!! But still contemplating a Booth a (a Bit Expensive)...

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Get there early. Last I heard, it was a standing room only Keynote with others pushed out into the lobby.

I've never been to a Keynote, but that's like one of my life's dreams. Well, maybe not.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Bloody daylight saving. The keynote starts at............4am. 2am was do-able, 4am is just plain nasty.

11. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'd like to meet Lacero in person at a Mac Convention being sarcastic to everyone:D

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I'll be hanging out Sunday to Sunday at the Argent. By the time I'd decided to book reservations, the Marriott was full up. <shrug> No biggie....

Yeah, gotta get my credit card bill down so I can spend up a storm in SF! The timing of this event sucks, right after Christmas....

Gonna have beer in your room at the Marriott??!! I'll be over!
    :D

OTB

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Yep. Check out the info on this site. They're available through Cafe Press. Pretty cool, too!

OTB

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Yep, I'm figuring that I'll have to be up at the crack of dawn and standing in line at around 5:30 or 6:00 AM or perhaps earlier....

OTB

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I was talking to my parents i want to go really bad. I would love to go to a keynote. Maybe i will have to wait until i am older......:(

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

First thing I do on arrival is stock up on Anchor Steam. It's fresh there! Room service rocks there too.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Never checked out the tip on The Grant Hotel at Bush and Powell, and getting a City Pass <G>? Here is my review on Trip Advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...he_Grant_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html). The rate is currently $70 a night for a queen room.

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

LOL! Yep, Chip, I did check out your tip -- had to fish around in my jeans pocket to find the note since I'd tossed them into the bin for the wash -- and I subsequently indeed did read your review on Trip Advisor -- GREAT review! -- the photos reallly add a lot and I think that was a very good idea. That is as far as I've gotten, though, with regard to reservations....am a little hesitant about changing things around
    On the other hand, that certainly would be a huge savings as far as staying in SF all those nights.....

I've looked online at the citypass thngie, too, and at Rick Steves' packing protocol.... Yes, I learned a LOT from that!!! I've always been an overpacker and if I can get out of that habit, I know it would be a good thing. Travel light.....travel light...... my new mantra.

The Citypass thing is a real deal and I am definitely signing up for that! Thank you for the tip about it.

Before the trip, I am going to have to do a "run-through" with the luggage, with the camera gear, the PB, the Epson 2000 (oooh, that is a really cool device! Experimented with it today, loading a CF card full of images and then transferring them all to the computer....works a treat. This is one handy tool for traveling photographers! I can see how one wouldn't need to take a laptop at all..... I'll be taking my PB "just because...." but not due to it being the only way of getting images safely stored off my CF cards.....It will be nice to have the Epson keeping my images safe. I'll be checking email (and Macrumors) with the PB when I'm online.... Hey, I'm going to a convention centered around Apple products and the Mac, it only seems appropriate to tote my PB along.....and my iPod, too!

OTB

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nah, I'll be just getting back from the CES in Vegas that week, so I think that attending MWSF as well would be an overload for me! :cool:

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Be sure to check out the other reviews there too.

City Pass rules IMHO after my trips to SF and Chicago.

For others that might not know, Rick Steves has made the statement that anyone can pack for a trip with under 20 pounds of luggage. This allows one one to do nothing but carry on baggage.

{quote]The Citypass thing is a real deal and I am definitely signing up for that! Thank you for the tip about it.[/quote]

You are able to buy the City Pass at the the travel center near the Powell Street cable line, just a short walk from the BART from SFO.

Good idea to do a "local" trip to see how much you can carry. The P-2000 is a great travel "companion" IMO.

In regards to taking a notebook computer. Depending on your needs, a Palm WinCE device with WiFi may be all that you need. Or maybe something like Sprint Vision.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It may seem like an overload, but SF can provide a nice rest. Add to that it can be cheap to add a stopover in Sf for MacWorld.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good point - I wonder if I can squeeze a few more of my vacation out of my manager and convince him to let me attend MWSF as well... ;) :cool:

I could see where it definitely wouldn't be as massive and fast-paced as the CES, that's for sure...

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If you haven't booked the flight, you might be able to. These types of arrangements are known as "open jaw". Even if the flight is booked, flights between SF and LAS are are cheap enough by doing separate bookings.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wow, good to know I had no idea. Thanks for the head's up Chip NoVaMac, I might actually have to look into this - why the hell not! ;) :D

25. vniow macrumors G4

Ugh, maybe I won't be going this year, trying to pre-register on the site is being a pain in the ass, apparently they don't allow for apartment numbers so it kept on saying mine was invalid. :mad: And I ain't paying $45 to get into a bunch of product demos, $30 is okay, $25 would have been better but $45 is too much.

Ah well, maybe next year. I live here in Sf (er, just north of it) so its not like its much of a commute for the next time it comes around.