Anyone going to the Montgomery Mall Apple Store opening?

Discussion in 'Community' started by rueyeet, May 3, 2004.

1. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Apple's newest store will open in Bethesda, MD's Montgomery Mall this Saturday at 10 am! I'm happy because this is the mall I grew up with, and my parents still live near there, so it puts an Apple Store near somewhere I actually go fairly often! *whoo!*

I'm going to be up late the night before, and may have other stuff going that day, but I'm going to try and make it for a free T-shirt and glimpse of the iPod mini! Anyone else planning to go, or thinking of lining up before it opens?

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Check out the last page of the main page's thread entitled New Apple Stores.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i suppose i could get there... but are there any really excellent free giveaways? cause i'f not i think i'm gonna enjoy the weather... it's supposed to be nice :cool:

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

i applied for a job there, as a sales person. However, I didn't hear back from them. Too bad too, cause I was the number one salesperson at the mac store I am working at now... oh well.

5. rueyeet thread starter macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I did do a forum search that brought up that thread, but its length did faze me mightily. Apologies. :eek:

The only giveaways are the standard free T-shirt thing, and a month-long sweepstakes, so enjoy the weather. Though, if I don't feel better by the weekend, I may not make it to the opening at all.... :(

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical of the thread. I only wanted to point to some other member's posts who might be going to the opening (ie gopher and quagmire.)

7. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

My in-laws live about 2 minutes from Montgomery Mall-- no more trips to Tyson's when I'm visiting up there. Unfortunately I won't be there this weekend....

8. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Eep! I'd had the opening filed in my brain as "a long time from now" and haven't been keeping up. I'm so glad you posted this! I may not make it for opening day, but I'll probably try. :)

9. rocks1985 macrumors newbie

yeah...i wanted to make it to this but i did not. anyone who did, please post photos of the grand opening! :)

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Does anyone find it odd that there are 3 Apple stores in the DC Metro Area?

How does the new Bethesda store compare to the Tyson's or Clarendon Stores?

D

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I find it odd that there aren't more. Four stores (if you count the Towson store in the Baltimore area) is not enough for an area of 7.5 million people. I go back to the need for a flagship store in the Georgetown area to anchor the retail effort here.

12. sandmann41 macrumors regular

I didn't bring my camera, but I snapped a couple with the crappy camera in my T616

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I agree with the flagship store idea, but Georgetown might be too close to Clarendon (actually, its really close, right over the Key Bridge and up Wilson Blvd.)

But since sales tax in DC is 10%, I don't think you'll see an Apple Store *in* District....

D

14. rueyeet thread starter macrumors 65816

rueyeet

My department does demographic mapping, and I can tell you--the DC metro is extremely affluent. I've always been surprised that it took Apple so long to open something on the northern side of DC, and think they might do pretty well in Columbia Mall as well to catch the crowd for whom either Towson or Bethesda is more than a half-hour drive. The Columbia area has some pretty high income, has a fair amount of development providing some good growth, and the mall is an area destination that's packed every weekend.

I could see a flagship in trendy Georgetown as well, actually. Can't cost as much as the NY or San Francisco locations, and you're talking a lot of income right near there, as well. If not Georgetown, then maybe one of the other trendy shopping districts.

As to Bethesda....The store's a bit smaller than Tyson's. I did get some interior shots as well as lots of line shots. I'll try and post them when I'm at home (don't have my camera with me). I'm just happy I did make the opening and got my t-shirt, and an iPod mini with no delay! (well, beyond waiting to get in, anyway) :p

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's mainly affluent because the rich folks are pushing the poor folks (lots of whom work in dc) further and further to the suburbs... when condos (not terribly big ones either i don't think) are starting at 600k... that's not a good sign

when an attorney (albeit gov't employed and therefore not reaching full pay "potential) has no real chance of buying a house in the area for many years and/or without another income... not a good sign

but yes, it's a rich area. :)

georgetown would be a bit too close to clarendon i think... a 15-20 minute walk really.. but, there are many stores in tight clusters... 2 in dallas. at least 3-4 in the nyc, nj, nystate area... and then there's california..

but, i think they should get a few in places that don't have them yet at all, rather than more in these places that have stores already.

16. sandmann41 macrumors regular

I talked my friend who came with me into buying one. I almost got one too, but I can't decide if I would rather have a mini over my current 30 gig.
    I'm glad I went, I had never heard of WAP before so I'm glad they were handing out copies of the newsletter. I work for HNS, so the review on DIRECTWAY was interesting to me. I work on the developement team for the next version of it.

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You know the lay of the land better than I, but I think a Flagship store in district, in a classy shopping area, would send a statement to metro area residents that no amount of openings in suburban malls can do. I think the combination of an urban center flagship store with surrounding smaller stores is a winning strategy. SF, LA, NYC, and Chicago would bear this out. In short, even if sales taxes are high (they are 8.5% in SF) it makes sense to have a store "in district" not only for the sales at the store, but also for the high profile advertisement it would bring for Apple products.