Anyone got a Macbook Pro hooked upto a 30" Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nylon, Feb 27, 2006.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone was using a 30" display with their Macbook Pro. Either a Dell or an Apple display.

Is their any lag when playing HD video or any GUI lag. Just wondering whether the video card can handle driving a 4MP display without issue.
  2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

Feb 23, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    They wouldn't make the new intels not compatible with the displays, especially seeing the graphics are superior. Contact Apple or search their tech support and see what happens.
  3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Take a peek at the MacBook Pro What's Inside page (why, oh why, did they abandon the term 'Tech Specs'?) it states under 'video and graphics support':

Since 2560x1600 is the resolution of the 30" display, that's a good sign.

Then, gander at the Graphics page. The last paragraph states:

Emphasis mine. So that clinches it, it supports the 30-inch display.

And at a local Apple Store today, I saw one running a 30" display. :D
  4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    *thinks about owning a MacBook Pro AND a 30" ACD...* drooooool.....
  5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    The video card in the MBP is the best they have ever offered. If the last generations could run them without problems i expect the new MBP to run them without any problems.
  6. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I have a previous gen powerbook (1.67ghz g4 with 128meg GPU) and it doesn't run that great on a 30". It's like using a 23" display with the mac mini. The quartz animations are a bit choppy. However, I'm pretty sure the new macbooks can handle that res very well with 256mb of ram.
  7. NeuronBasher macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    I can't vouch for the performance on the 30" ACD, but on my 24" Dell it runs great. You won't be able to run any modern games at full resolution, but it's still a pretty powerful video card, but HD video and general GUIness should be fine.
  8. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You can if you run it in "Clamshell" mode with the lid closed. It will dedicate the full 128 or 256 MB to the external display then. The 30" would be sweet running with the full power of the x1600.
  9. NeuronBasher macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    I should clarify: Yes, it will run modern games at full resolution on the 30", but only if you don't care about reasonable framerates. :) It's not memory that it's short of, it's raw pixel pushing power. If you turn game settings up even slightly it will have trouble at 1920x1200 (ie: my Dell), much less the 30" ACD with it's higher resolution. The X1600 is a great card, but it wasn't designed for gaming at extreme high resolutions.
  10. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

Feb 23, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    I will find out in about another week or so. I am going to pick one up since I use my computer as a TV / DVD player. My current screen is a very old 15" LCD thats pretty dark.

Those 30" displays look pretty sweet. I saw a 23" at compusa and I can't imagine how godly the 30" displays are.
  11. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2004
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I know the Macbook supports the 30" inch display I just wanted to know if anyone was actually using this configuration and found that everything was running smoothly and that the GUI wasn't choppy or lagged.