Anyone got Fusion to run?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by monkeybagel, Feb 16, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

Since this is a developer preview I expect things to not work and thats fine. But - just wondering if anyone has successfully run Fusion? Tried 4.1 and 4.1.1 and both refuse to run so far.

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

You can bypass the application block by launching Fusion from the terminal using the open command, but as figured it is blocked for a reason. I was hoping for partial functionality, but instead got a kernel panic! :eek:

3. macrumors 6502

I'm in the process of installing. I was going to create a new VM, install Lion and then from Lion do the upgrade to Mountain. Does this not work? I have Fusion 4.1.0 :) Never installed the killer update.

-Mike

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

I have not tried installing it in a VM, but from what I read it kernel panics in a VM too. I just know Fusion will not run on ML. I also avoided 4.1.1 until today, but it will not run either.

5. macrumors regular

MikeFla:
    Keep us posted if you were able to get it running by installing it onto a vm of Lion.

I'm in the same position, on how to best install ML and keep my install of Lion intact.

Thanks,

6. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How exactly are you able to start Fusion, I get the following error when trying to start it up from the terminal under ML
    LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10664

7. macrumors 68040

tigres

Maflynn. See if this helps, and report back if you would. I too cannot use it without fusion as I run windows all day for work. http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809

8. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, but that looks like its an issue using Mountain Lion inside vmware and specific to the vmwre tools, not running vmware fusion from ML

9. macrumors 68040

tigres

Oh you are correct, my bad sorry about that. :eek:

10. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problem, I've been searching the net for a solution but I think we'll have to wait for VMware to release an updated build and to be honest given that 10.8 is only a Developer Preview I'm really not confident that we'll see one anytime soon.

11. macrumors 68040

tigres

If my recollection is correct 4 was not released until well after lion was released. They seem to be a little behind in supporting the final OS, and never really comment on status of future releases.

Fwiw. I am on SL, so I was going to give it a run to test the networking environment, but i won't go through the hassle now knowing fusion won't run on it. Btw, I wonder why it won't run- seems like ML is kind of a service pack of sorts with added assets.

12. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They sometimes release builds to fix these types of issues. So far their forums have not provided any of that information.

13. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

14. macrumors member

87racer