Anyone got the SightFlex? Other iSight options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Westside guy, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi,

I just purchased an iSight. While I do love the camera, I'm not very happy with the way the provided mounts work - they don't appear to have really been designed with the thought of repeatedly putting them together and taking them apart.

Digression and example: To use any of the non-magnetic mounts, you have to first slip the Firewire cable through the mount, then slip a tight collar over the cable's connector hood, and finally push the collar into the mount. The collar and mount really should be one piece, and the cable needs to be more easily removable from the collar. After five minutes with it I figured out a better design, and am seriously thinking about trying to build one. C'mon Apple, design is usually your strength!

After poking around on-line I saw something called SightFlex that, while not really portable, might be a good solution for my office. The price isn't bad either. Do any of you have experience with this item?

As a secondary question - any recommendations for a small bag to carry the iSight essentials (camera, Powerbook mount, maybe the cable) around in?

As always, thanks for your help and advice!

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have the sightflex - awesome product.

for bags check out the iSight specific bags from Waterfield design

http://www.sfbags.com/ great bags - a little expensive but well thought out

Also check out boinx software:

http://www.boinx.com/

Killer software for the iSight as well as other camera - iStopMotion lets you do stop motion animation and iVeZeen lets you use your iSight as a video camera with voice and motion sensing.

3. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Thanks for the reminder! I now have one on its way to me. :D I bought one of their iPod cases about a year ago, and love it.

I'll check out the software you mention as well.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have SightFlex. It does it's job, so in a way it's good. On the other hand though, I wouldn't describe it as a great product. In other words, it works but it doesn't have an "Apple-quality" feel