Anyone got their tongue pierced?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Aug 12, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Here's an interesting one for you all, does anyone have their tongue pierced? I am seriously thinking about doing it :D and wondered if anyone here had any first hand experiences?

Thanks!

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I had my nose.

I'm not in to pircing, it doesn't call my attention at all. I did it with my nose to experiment but that was it, I wouldn't recomend it to any body but...

A few years ago I saw a girl that was a sort of cute, then I saw her tongue pierced and I just felt in love with her, may be because she had a "dark kinky side" and that exited me but that was it, never again, it was just that time.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Nope, but I do have my nose and lip pierced and a couple of other things done... ;) :D

I thought about my tounge, but I'm put off because I hate metal things clanging into my teet.

I know quite a few people that have it done, and no one suffered any major problems, beside the usual tounge swelling for 48 hours!

I get my piercings done at Cold steel in Camden, and also there's one that is on the opposite side of the road facing Camden Lock right next to the railway arches, it's above a shoe shop, the woman that does it there is very, very good...

There's also a cracking pub around the corner where you can have a couple of stiff drinks to calm your nerves before you go in!! ;)

I love been pierced, but it's a case of self control because I don't want to end up with a face full of metal that is comparable to the Terminator!! heh-heh!!

My next pet-body-art project is a tattoo, that I'm designing myself, the thought of skimming through a book and having a generic design is just.... :rolleyes:

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

doesn't anyone remember the Chris Rock song " Theres no sex in the champagne room"... this girl at my work had one but then her mom happened to see it and forced her to take it out for the next two weeks I had to drive her home because if she drove her self her parents would know we were hanging out a few hours after work :) ....thats about all of my experience

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Never had anything pierced. It's something that I never even considered. You should really investigate the place that you are going to have it done. Your health should be your major consideration!

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

health concerns

as it has been widely reported, oral sex is not a major, if at all, way to spread HIV

but piercing your tongue can possibly give the virus an "in" into one's body...i know, it still sounds very improbable, but as an HIV education volunteer with heroin and intravenous drug users, i want to point this out

the virus needs a very obvious way to get into the body so that's why toilet seats and doorknobs and french kissing have never been reported as a means of spreading the HIV virus...besides needing an "in", it has to infect the body in sufficient quantities also to take hold

but overall, i have never heard of any "problems" or complaints of any sort with people piercing their tongue...but healthwise, piercing one's genitals is a more controversial process and some say can lead to problems

piercing a large part of our culture today so for now, it's here to stay but due to its tremendous popularity, it can no longer be seen as any sort of rebellious statement...same with tatoos

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I do not...

I know of one classmate from my H.S. that does. Multiple piercings.

At least four in each ear, the tongue, and perhaps a few above his eyes.

jef, do tell about AIDS being spread so easily. But try telling it to the person I just described, only 16, and dangerously potential to receive the virus.

8. davy the bunny macrumors regular

metal in my mouth

I have 2 piercings in my tongue and two in my bottom lip. I think that if you really want it, as in you really want it just for you, then you'll be more than happy with it after you do it. But as other people have said, just be careful about where you go. I guess I'm just paranoid but I went to a few piercers to check them out first, asked around, even checked out a couple of sites online before I did it.

Basically, all I'm trying to say is, if you want to keep your tongue afterwards, make sure that you do your homework! Research potential issues such as swelling, make sure that you obtain something to clean it with (I use plain old run of the mill salt water), know what type of jewelry the piercer will be using to start you with. . . okay I'm rambling, I'll stop.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the united states, just one country, the virus is mostly in the intravenous drug user commmunity and the gay community, but worldwide, it's a disease that attacks mostly heterosexual people

the virus doesn't care what lifestyle or race the person is, it just wants a warm body to reside in

the good news is that this virus will never prove to be as virulent as the bubonic plague

10. davy the bunny macrumors regular

STDs and piercing?

It escapes me as to how tattoos and piercings are associated with sexual transmitted diseaes. . . I mean I understand what you're sayig but why did you even bring it up? I'm not trying to be hostile, just asking. . .

11. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

after years doing HIV research i would have to say that a tongue peircing wouldnt increase your chances of infection AT ALL once the peircing is healed. Like any other peircing, once it has "healed" its no longer an "open" portion of skin, and is no more suseptable than any other part of your skin (or mucous membrane in this case).

and no...HIV wont be as virulent in the sense that it doesnt act as fast or do as much damage as quickly to tissue, though bubonic plague was much easier spread. Not that bubonic plagues a big issue, it can be cured with one of various antibiotics because it isnt a virus :p

12. davy the bunny macrumors regular

I was under the impression that piercings through membranes and cartilage(nose, tongue, tough parts of the ear) never actually healed because the membrane can't "close itself off". But I'm not sure, being that you've researched HIV, would you know anything about that kind of thing?

13. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

like anything else, you get what you pay for... if you're piercing/inking/modifying ANYTHING, do make sure you're at a clean, reputable, experienced studio.

ask your friends, or even friendly-looking strangers, where they had their work done and what their impressions were of the place. do yourself a favor and get some worthwhile recommendations before you let people start poking holes in you.

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

exactly!!

15. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

god yes! you CAN get HIV from dirty tattoo/piercing equipment! beyond that, if they pierce to deep it can cause large keloid scaring and if its too shallow it can tear out easily or never completely heal correctly. Too deep of a tattoo in certain areas can actually cause nerve damage! if you are getting anything done you should definately check them out. ask to see the equipment being removed from a sterilization pouch and always check with other people to see if they do ok work.

16. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I know a few people who have tongue piercings. Some of them talk with a lisp now. Just a warning.

17. evapor8 macrumors newbie

I've got my tongue pierced. It was done for me, the way I wanted it. I did my research and all the fun stuff. And contrary to some people, I don't have a lisp, and I had it done in such a place where you can hardly even notice I have it unless I show people. I love talking about it and other bod-mods, so if you have any questions, shoot 'em over.

18. davy the bunny macrumors regular

Anyone stuck with a lisp probably has the wrong size jewelry, either a barbell too long or a ball too big, it's not really too much concern if you get jewelry for you and not just every other person that wants a hole in their body.

19. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wow! A lot of responses all of a sudden! :eek: I’m still thinking about it, I’d like to get it done, but it’s finding a good time to do it. I work full time and have a client-facing job where I speak to people all day every day. Apparently you can sound very strange for the first 1-2 weeks, this would be no good in my situation :(

20. iGav macrumors G3

If you get chance, Go to Cold Steel in Camden or maybe Chiko's in Camden Market opposite Dingwalls, and talk to someone there, they'll fill you in and they're 2 of the best in London...

http://www.coldsteel.co.uk/frames.html

I'll go with ya if you want!! ;)

21. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Ive got an industrial (a scaffold piercing for you folks across the pond) and a prince albert. If theres one thing I can say about them is TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!! Don't touch or play with them unless they need to be cleaned untill they are healed and always be clean about it. Another thing that I cant stress enough is make sure the place that does your piercing is clean and the piercer knows what their doing. Ask to see a portfolio of things they have done and ask questions like theres no tomorow. If they answer without hesitation they usualy know what theyre talking about. When i got my prince albert done, I took a three hour drive because i did not feel as if any of the local places knew what they were doing (and i dont want someone that doesnt know what theyre doing handling my hardware). So in short just make sure that you pick a place that knows what theyre doing and take good care of whatever you get done.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I had my tongue pierced 7 years ago or so. The advice so far has been very good. Do research, get a good piercer, take good care of it until it heals, and get an appropriate stud so you can talk and function.

One more thing. Don't make my mistake. I got mine done on vacation and despite all the wonderful food surrounding me, I couldn't eat much of anything. :( So, make sure you're not going to be surrounded by tempting food before you do it.

23. iGav macrumors G3

or go to a place that is full of many beautiful women who are full of pent up lust.... ;) :D

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

am i the only one who thinks it's funny that a tax lawyer (or any lawyer) has their tongue pierced? hah

25. frescies macrumors regular

nope

had my eyebrow pierced. Man it looked stupid. So did my ear piercings.