Anyone gotten the new food pyramid to work on a mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by wordmunger, Apr 19, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The USDA released its new food pyramid at http://mypyramid.gov, but I can't get it to work. I'm wondering if this is a Mac problem (I've tried Safari, Firefox, and Explorer) or a server overload because of all the publicity today. Anyone else gotten it to work?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you mean the My Pyramid part on the right-hand-side of the screen? Right now it seems to hang on load for me, eventually leading to a gateway timeout.

BTW, the explanation of how to list your physical activity deserves an abuse of the English language award...

Well, hmmm, I run 7 miles a day (well, I've only run twice since last week's marathon, but...before that). So that's my daily routine. So, yeah, I would be back to nothing.... :rolleyes:

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hanged for a bit for me in Camino, then finally went through, but doesnt appear to be working correctly, i would assume that it is due to an increased traffic flow.... :confused:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, it worked for me after several tries. It's shockingly lacking in any useful information for someone who already has some food related common sense. Not that I do (have any).

Firefox 1.0.2, MacOS 10.3.9.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's also slow on PC with Firefox ... waiting .... still waiting ... still waiting ...ok, gave up after waiting two minutes. I'll try MSIE ... no, still no response.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

wow, that was slow....

cool, though to see the new pyramids....

D

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Didn't load for me in Safari, despite several tries. Firefox eventually worked. Only grains, fruits and vegitables?

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Count me in as a no go, too.

Tried it in all the browsers. :rolleyes:

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Keeps loading and doing nothing for me. I wouldn't expect a new food pyramid to cause traffic overload on a tuesday night... :rolleyes:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, maybe there was a rumor about powermac updates hidden in there somewhere! :D

Milo, I had meats/beans at the bottom of my pyramid.

12. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I got it to work with Safari 1.3.

Says that I only get 2600 calories a day and I'm hoping that those 3 cups of milk I'm supposed to get each day can be substituted with other dairy. I did say something about using low-fat yogurts and cheese. Yum, I'll bet those will taste good.

I'll have to look at it some more another day. I'm confused about some things and it's loading everything slow.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Worked for me with Safari, but it must be defective. It said I don't get enough lard, to increase my smoking, and to sit around more.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Thanks for the info on the new food pyramid.

I can't seem to access most of the content (don't really have the time to wait around for it to load or not, paper and test tomorrow).

This reminds me of the Rick Mercer's Monday Report clip on the Canadian food group chart four basic food groups

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The trick to get it to load is start the load. Open mac rumors scan posts for 15 minutes then go back to the food pyramid and its done.

Just like a previous poster it said just grains, vegetables, and fruit. I'm not a deer I'm an omnivore.

My actual order in amounts are grains, dairy, fruit, meats, vegetables, chocolate, fats and oils. Guess I'll die early, at least I'll be happy. :D

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe do some running in the fifteen minutes, and you'll earn more protein! :D

Too funny that it's telling *me* to eat meat, and I'm the vegetarian, and all of you not to, and you're omnivorous! :rolleyes:

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The loaded rather snappy. Was unable to get the links to work such as pyramid information or registration. Just sits there and spins. Will keep trying. Fruits, vegetables and grains and very important, the research diet that I have been participating provides the proper balance.

19. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Still doesn't work for me, even on my wife's superfast lab connection. I suppose I'll just have to go on eating fried chicken, steak, and pizza with gravy for dinner every night, since I don't know what the government recommends....