Anyone happily sending to large email lists? (20-50k+)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by unregbaron, May 11, 2004.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

I am looking to replace our existing web-based tracking software ($19.99 shareware!) as it is obvious after a few months that not all our subscribers are receiving the emails each time (a double opt-in trade newsletter).

We are so busy here we don't have time to look at each possible program - can anyone recommend a web-based email sending piece of software that can track openings, manage subscribers etc etc. (single channel if possible I am advised..)

I have a feeling it will cost $1000 but perhaps a better option is out there?

thanks!!

x

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've seem major domo used a few times by different sites. It seems to be able to cope and is FREE!

3. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Robbie though it says 'Majordomo itself performs no mail delivery' on the FAQs... so guess that rules it out?

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i would go so far as to say major domo is the industry standard. there are web interfaces available.

the learning curve may be a little steep if you don't even have time to do a little research...

5. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

- thanks Melchior - will pursue things a little more in-depth...

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i've used both of these for lists in the 15k neighborhood: IMN and Constant Contact.

CC is a little more user-friendly; IMN is a little more flexible if you want to get your hands dirty with raw HTML.

edit: should mention these are HTML newsletters, although both programs will send text-only on demand.

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think it means that Majordomo does not have a built in mail engine, but sends mail using the OS facilities on the server it's installed on. i.e. on most Unix boxes it will use sendmail to send the mail.

I could have this all wrong though!