Anyone hate phones as much as I do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Josh, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I absolutely just cannot stand phones. Everything about them, from their obnoxious ringing to the pointless things people say on them, makes me seethe with anger.

Hearing a phone ring, even if is not mine, makes me want to knock down walls with my bare hands. Ok...maybe not that bad, but it's darn close.

Even worse are the callers that just cannot commit to ending the conversation.

What follows is a transcription of a converstation I just had. It is what fueled me with the desire to post this and perhaps feel better for venting.

Sorry it is long, but I couldn't explain it a shorter way.

*Ringggg...ringgggg...ringgg!!!!!!*

[click]

I kid you not, I was lead to believe the conversation was ending, only to have a new one begin, a total of no less than 3 or 4 times. That crap gets my blood boiling.

Sorry to rant. I feel somewhat better though.

Any stories of yours you'd like to rant about? :)

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I hate those little pricks with Bluetooth sets. It seems to give them some kind of sense of self-worth, as if every conversation they are having involves some multi-billion dollar deal, so naturally everyone within a 15' radius is dying to hear it. They look like twits with those stupid things on, they hold conversations at a level two or three times as loud as should be allowed, and always look directly at you as they are talking, to make you think they are saying something to you (and then roll their eyes or act completely perplexed as to why you thought they said something to YOU, of all people).

And, to top it off, it seems like the majority of people who use them are the most technologically impaired people alive.

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I don't mind stupid conversations like that one, but I do hate phones. I hate their annoyning ring at innapropriate moments (why must everyone call me when I'm in the john? :p ) and, above all, I hate people who call me trying to offer me some useless product that I don't need :mad: It's MY phone line, and yes I WILL hang up on you rudely if you try to sell me something :cool:

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

haha. I dont hate phones. They can be annoying though.

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I don't hate phones, just the people who use them inappropriatley. I use my phone to make plans, meet people and generally arrange my social life. I do not speak loudly about my sexual partner's abilities or lack therof, irritating relatives, or various ailments. I hate people that do.

And those jerks with bluetooth headsets look like those homeless people who talk to themselves until I realize they are wearing a headset. Then they look like someone trying to look all businesslike and executive. REAL executives who make multi million dollar deals have assistants to call and text and e-mail and schedual for them. Headsets are good for driving, if you must talk and drive. It is not that much of a chore to hold your phone to your ear while walking around.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I hate phones, too.

Most of my friends, family and clients know that if they want to communicate with me, they need to e-mail or IM me.

Rob will call up every now and then and go "Hey, I'm driving down the road and just saw a hawk..." :rolleyes:

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

When I'm on boring calls, I just pretend to listen and instead I post here. Let them ramble on as much as they want.

*excuse me -"uh, huh, yeah, go on..."*

Anyway, as I was saying - phones serve a useful purpose at times. But as with anything, people who don't get it can ruin it.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Phones are evil, and I loathe them, my own especially. The thing I cannot stand the most is when someone calls (for a second time) and feels it necessary to inquire why I did not drop what I was doing and rush to my phone the first time as though I was a human equivalent of one of Pavlov's dogs. My telephone is for my own convenience, not anyone else's.

11. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I like phones. But if someone calls me and it becomes a "conversation" like you had I would ask him/her what the call was about. That is terrible!

12. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That's why when you're on the phone and the other person says bye, you don't respond and then wait around for them to hang up. You say bye as your phone is being hung up.

13. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I don't think its phones you should hate - its the stupid conversations some people feel the need to have ('I have a phone, I know, I'll use it' - whether it be boredom, or to show off and look popular) and the annoying ringtone adverts that are plastered all over TV (At least here, in the UK).

Phones themselves are great, and I couldn't live without mine. I use text messaging a lot like IM'ing, and when its something more serious, or urgent, you can call the person to get the point quickly.

I for one couldn't live without one, but I only use it to keep in touch and stay safe, and take pictures if I'm out or at a party, somwhere I wouldn't want to take a professional camera. I don't live with my my younger brother, sister or Mum, so its handy just to drop them a hello once a day, see how they're doing. I don't use it for pointless things, 'what did you have for lunch' sort of thing, I have a life of my own, LOL. :D

They're very handy, and have saved lives.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Phones are alright...its the people that call and don't say anything that annoys me.....

Me: Hello
    Them: Hi
    Me: So how r u?
    Them: fine...
    :confused: What the hell are you calling me for!

Bless

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

What I do when the newspaper company calls me:

It sure makes me happy.

I once was in a rush to go to an appointment, and I just answered:

HELLO who is it...
    NYT calling.

I just hang up.

16. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Classic.

I get the "Oh my god, the funniest thing just happened... <snip> ...I guess you had to be there."

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Caller ID - it's worth it just to avoid those calls.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Amen.

I mean if you are going to call me, let's have a meaningful conversation about something, not the lady in front of you in the grocery.

19. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Oh I've got it.

But, if I didn't answer the girlfriend's call when she knew I was at work....:eek:

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

True, but how many places these days show up as "Unknown number"? Back when I had my landline with Bellsouth, any call from a cell phone wouldn't show up properly (no name, just number). Most sales companies, bill collectors, et al don't transmit a valid number and/or name.

21. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

I hate when salespeople call, but I hate it even MORE when the ARMY calls! :mad: Pushy bastards.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What astounds me sometimes is when I say 'I'm right in the middle of something at the moment, can I call you back?' and some people get snotty about it... as if you've been sitting around waiting for their call. More often than not, it's an intrusion.

However, I'm starting to use the phone far more at work now for internal calls rather than emailing within the building... you can sort out things quicker and you don't have to clear your mailboxes of the endless to and fro-ing that always seems to accompany the simplest of queries.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Phones don't annoy people. People annoy people. Stop taking it out on the phones. ;)

24. garfield2002 macrumors regular

The line for me was crossed a few weeks ago when I was in a public rest room. A guy entered the stall next to me and while doing his business his phone rings. He answers the phone and proceedes to plan his weekend with the person on the other end, it sounded like his girlfriend. While still on the phone he flushed the toilet and went out and washed his hands. Then amazingly instead of leaving he continued his converstation in restroom. :eek:

I was in shock. I told my wife who was waiting for me, geez you won't believe what just happened.

Inappropriate use of cell phones bugs me, people need to remember that there is a time and a place. :)

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I hate cell phones and only have one because I need it for my job. Other than my office, less than 10 people have my cell number.

How I fight them?

Some asswipe on my floor at work frequently takes a leak while on his BT headset. Last week, I walked into a toilet and flushed it several times. They are quite loud.

When people are in the elevator talking on a cell phone, I like to say, rather loudly, Can you hear me now?