Anyone have 133MBs of web space I can borrow?

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, Aug 2, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Anyone have 133MBs of web space I can borrow?

I need the space to host pictures of my trip to spain for my fam and friends to see. I only would need it for a month or two.

I would really appreciate it if you could help.

(or- where can i get this for free?)

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

before i say anything... how the hell can you have 133 MB of Pictures?

First I would go with the File Sharing solution, put the file on some P2P network, with a password and tell the friends the password...

tada...

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I think it's time and you did some clean up of those files. I know it's awesome to have 2280x1790 or whatever size pictures, but in a browser, anything larger than 800x600 is more than enough.

Usually, if a picture is over 50k, it's too big for the web, unless there is a specific need for it (wallpapers, etc.).

If your album contains small files like this, I apologize, but maybe you should trim down the 2660 pictures in there... ;)

Anyway, good luck.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

133 Megs is way too much for just one trip ;) Unless you went for several months.

What is the format? If you're not using jpeg and like zarathrusta said, 800x600 image size you should.

D

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Anyone have 133MBs of web space I can borrow?

ditto on above comments.

Various places allow you to host your pics for free, and also will sell prints of your photos to your friends :)

Try: http://www.snapfish.com/

arn

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, that site looks pretty awesome arn! looks like exactly what you're looking for idkew. I'll have to remember that site for the future...

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I have a directory on my server that has a 160 image gallery, and it's only 27MB (including thumbs, previews & html). What do u have exactly? (since everyone else mentioned sizes before me ;))

8. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

well, add thumbnails and an 800x600 full size photo for 800+ pictures and you get 133MBs

photos are big. my iPhoto library takes up 3.5GBs for about 2000 photos. my 48gb HD is not so big anymore.

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

it was a month long photography trip. the idea WAS to take A LOT of pictures.

they are all jpgs.

10. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Re: Re: Anyone have 133MBs of web space I can borrow?

thanks. i will think about that, but it seems not to have a batch upload i have seen, and i am not selecting each of 700 by hand.

btw- just for your awe, my 400+ once film scans add up to over 4.5gbs of space. BUT, these are all print quality. i got a beautiful 16"x20" (or something like that..., maybe 14x20) print out of one. no pixilization.

then all my 300+ digital prints are full size 4mp files. took like 10 cds to back it all up. i wish i had a dvd burner.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Damn, and I thought I took a lot of pictures when I went to Europe for a month. I took about 450 pictures, but when I uploaded them to my computer, they took up at most 48 megs of space on my HD. Granted, I only took them at medium quality at mid resolution (this was with a 2.1 megapixel camera I got in 2000 and a 64 meg card cost around $200). What I did was create a shared file and a small network for friends to log into to see my pics.

12. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

yeah- i had to pick up a second 256mb card in barcelona. and that was with me deleting the pictures that i did not like.

cool thing is, with my PowerShot S45 I got more than 125 pictures, with medium use of picture review and light flash use.

13. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i can't believe no-one has suggested this yet...

Ok, i'm assuming that you're using OSX, and that you have a broadband connection, but why not just use Apache (aka Personal Web Sharing) and a dyndns account? PM me if you want details of how to set this up effectively.

Ok, if you're on dialup its not at all ideal.

I'll host the pics on my machine if you're desperate - i only get 256kbit/s upload (~24kbyte/s) so its not going to be the fastest way to do it, and i'm in the UK so its gonna get slower the further away from me you are.

[edit]
    How much bandwidth are you going to be needing?

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's basically what I did, but I didn't have Mac OS X and wouldn't know how to use the server functions on it. What I did was borrow a copy of Windows server and put it on my old Gateway to use it as a picture server, though my Gateway died shortly after (completely burnt out). I'd love to learn to use the more advanced features of OS X such as the use of Apache (sorry for the off topic nature), is there a good book that would explain how to do it? I have a Barnes and Noble card burning a hole in my pocket, so it'd be a good use for it.

15. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i second using your own computer as your server. as many may have seen already, i completely support Michael Mulligan's myPhoto. you can view my library from the link in my signature. Michael gives very complete directions on how to set the entire thing up, and it even integrates into you iPhoto library. if you have problems with it, contact me, or Michael. i have nothing to do with it's production, but i have a lot of experience using it. otherwise, Michael is a very friendly guy and stands behind his work; i'm certain he will help you with any really technical problems.

16. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Apache is really straight forward, just check "personal web sharing" and you're away. It gets a little more fun when you start using PHP & MySQL etc. Have a look at http://entropy.ch and http://www.phpmac.com for details on how to do that.

17. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Re: i can't believe no-one has suggested this yet...

yeah- i did not think of dyn dns. i have seen www.no-ip.com type things. how do i go about doing that?

i am on a cable modem with (i think) a static ip, but i am not positive...

i guess i would just enable web sharing...

i think i can do this, while i am thinking out loud.... i'll let you know if i need help.

18. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

ok, got personal web sharing on. i get the "it worked" apache page when i go to my ip. the problem is, i have an index.html in my sites folder. why is it not using that page instead of the default it worked page?

Back

19. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you haven't done anything to the apache configuration have you? i would assume not since you don't sound like you would have tampered with any files that you need to use the terminal to access.

set up a dynamic dns before you go posting links. allowing the public to see your ip address is bad news when you've got any type of sharing going on.

20. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

i don't think i have played with apache. i did before, but i think that was before i got 10.2 and did a reformat.

and i have my firewall on, and only web sharing on, so i am not TOO worried about someone getting to me...

still waiting for no-ip's email to set it up.

its there. click

now that i have that working, why isn't apache showing MY page?

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, did you replace "index.html" with your own home page?

22. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

yes.

it is my index, not apache's.

well, this gave me the idea to find apache's index, reanme it, and replace it with mine. it is a horrible hack since i moved all my html and jpgs to apache's folder, but, unless someone can help me here, that will have to suffice.

i think i tried it all. logged in/out. restarted filesharing. tried .htm. restarted my computer. nothing... any other ideas out there? thanks.

also- could someone please tell me if they are able to access the page.

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

idkew i was able to go to that site and see the different pictures.

Btw I am not photographer or art critic, but those photos really seem excellent :)

-tazo

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice shots. I'm not sure what you mean about the "horrible hack", though...

25. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Strange... i just tried the same thing and got the same result. Just the Apache index page shows up, not mine. What did you finally do to get this to work? The index.html that needs to be replaced is in the sites folder correct?