Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Small loud dog, kitchen utensils, and former SF boss? ;)

I don't go for the gun arsenal thing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a P30 in my nightstand, hollow points as well, 115gr +p+ of course ;)
HK%20P30.jpg

Does the robot shoot it for you when a break in occurs and no one is home? :p

I have a monitored security system but I am aggravated that in the State of Texas (or it's just Houston), you can't have a monitored fire alarm unless you have hard wired phone service. The fire marshal needs to update his outlook. My monitored service is via cell tower.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Where do you live OP? Do you really need one? I live down a lane with only my house. No neighbours. No lighting. My car keys are in the ignition (so I know where they are at all times.) Same with the sit on mower. The house doors are never locked. Never been burgled.:)

Same here - Live in a small but dense town with 1 cop ;) Its great!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a P30 in my nightstand, hollow points as well, 115gr +p+ of course ;)

And when the house is vacant this advanced P30 does it's own patrols of the premises ;)

I have Suddenlink as my cable provider. They provided security monitoring and a bundled price of $16 per month. I'd like to see anyone beat that. :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Small town. Love being able to not worry about whether we've remembered to lock the doors when go away for the weekend.

Never understood the gun in the house thing. Not that it matters as we (thankfully) live in a gun-control nation. The stats are so overwhelming agains the usefulness of a gun in the house. For every "bad-guy" shot doing a criminal act by a civilian, 9 other innocent people are shot. A quarter of those 9 are shot accidentally (gross negligence usually, but not deliberately) and the remaining victims are (in order) spouses, other family members, and friends usually shot deliberately during a domestic dispute, or an argument between friends.

Just putting the aside the morals and the ethics for the moment, the logic of having a gun in the house makes no sense. A gun owner is more likely to be killed by their own gun than being able to use that gun to protect their TV and stereo. I just don't get it.

If you don't like my numbers, look 'em up. Numerous national, state and city health departments keep track of who is getting treated (or buried) for gunshot wounds, and why they were shot.

Morkel01

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
I have installed a home security system in my home and it is quiet efficient and cost-effective. It has saved my home from getting robbed many times in 10 years and I had searched that home security system company’s product from internet. So, if you wish then even you could also search and purchase the system online.

consumerchoice

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
review first

Its a great thing to install a home security at home. But you need at least to google first some home security companies that are more reliable and cheap.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I have a very good one. I was taught to always have good insurance and a back up. Back up in this case would be an alarm on every door.

My golden retriever is extra backup, but hope that thief's don't bring treats, because he'll just sit and wait for them to throw said treats.

----------

I have a very good one. I was taught to always have good insurance and a back up. Back up in this case would be an alarm on every door.

My golden retriever is extra backup, but hope that thief's don't bring treats, because he'll just sit and wait for them to throw said treats.

Also have a shotgun by my bed...

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I was taught to always have good insurance and a back up. Back up in this case would be an alarm on every door.

I think you have that backwards. The alarm is your first line, your insurance is your backup...

My parent's shop was robbed a few years ago. Those guys were well organized and knew what they were doing. The set off an alarm across town then broke into my parent's shop also setting off the alarm. While the police where investigating that one, they were back across town cleaning out a car dealer's shop... Sometimes they'll use the alarms to their advantage.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I have a security system that does fire, break in's, and also video surveillance with 5 night vision cameras and a DVR. The alarm is always armed even when I'm home. I also keep a loaded 12 gauge shotgun handy just in case of a home invasion. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thankfully nothing's ever happened in the 14 years I've owned this house. Hope it stays that way.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Monitored security system with video surveillance. Three large dogs with one of them that dislikes everyone. Good luck getting in to my home because if you get past that, then you deal with my wife. LOL!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
We have a security system that's monitored for entry and fire, and we activate it whenever we're away as well as overnight.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Just setup my new security system. It was pretty cheap too: 1 shotgun, 1 pulley, 1 ball of twine per possible point of entrance. Of course, now I can't figure out how to get back inside....

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My house is rigged like the house in Home Alone, so if anybody even try's to get in, they're going to get hurt.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I remember a few years ago my dad had a metal ADT sign in the front. Just a sign :eek:.

That is really not that uncommon. I've given old signs to friends. A sign is a huge deterrent. Why stumble into the unknown? I believe the notion that the average breaker-in-of-houses, would just go to the next address without a security system.

I use my cable provider Suddenlink for security because when it's bundled with their other servies, it's only $16 a month which I don't think can be beat. I really like the feeling that I'll never wake up with someone standing over me, plus the fire monitoring is nice.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
That is really not that uncommon. I've given old signs to friends. A sign is a huge deterrent. Why stumble into the unknown? I believe the notion that the average breaker-in-of-houses, would just go to the next address without a security system.

I use my cable provider Suddenlink for security because when it's bundled with their other servies, it's only $16 a month which I don't think can be beat. I really like the feeling that I'll never wake up with someone standing over me, plus the fire monitoring is nice.

Burglars know that systems are often non-functional and will break in, run and then wait to see if the police really show up.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Have an alarm system that gets set whenever we are out and when we go to bed (downstairs only obviously). If we have an alarm go off it calls our mobiles. Pretty good really.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I don't own a gun. (Horror I know, they are banned in my city, 4th largest in North America) Of course I have an alarm, we spend a fortune of everything possible. Thats my attempt at humour. I live in a very nice area which has some break ins while people are at cottages so I have ADT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.