anyone have a portable printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eddiepn, Aug 24, 2004.

1. eddiepn macrumors newbie

would greatly appreciate any recommendations re purchase new portable printer - will be printing primarily short documents, rarely pictures - many thanks for your assistance

2. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

HP Deskjet 450ci
    Canon i80

I would recommend either of these, they both work great and they're the same price. I personally don't have a portable printer but a friend has the HP and a co-worker has the Canon so I've been able to use both.

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The Canon BJC-55 Color BubbleJet has pretty decent prints buts it a little pricey at $350 but if you can get your employer to pay for it than that is not a problem.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've used the i80 before and I like it. It's fast, small, and does good work. The owner of it complained that it sucked down ink like crazy, but she also does a ton of printing (80-100 pages a day with at least 25% coverage on each page) so it might be that she'd use a ton of ink on any printer.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if she does that much, why does she have an inkjet? not to mention one of thos portable ones?

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It has to be portable as her "office" is wherever she happens to be at the moment. "Why an inkjet?" is a better question. Do they make tiny portable laser printers?

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I think the smallest you're going to get would fit comfortably in a shopping cart. ;)

8. berner macrumors newbie

I Have set myself up with the HP deskjet 450 WBT, it has the battery and a bluetooth card that fits in its compact flash slot in the back. I'm using an ibook 1Ghz, w/ bluetooth (obviously) and extra ram ( 640). I needed to be portable and was very dissapointed at first that there are very few portable printer options on the market. I am using this setup to allow me to invoice customers on the spot when I have to do work at there home (i am a heating contractor so this is daily).I chose the HP, for a few reasons, i am fond of having a totally wireless set up (BT mouse too) because it is clean to set up anywhere on any avail. surface, even several tables chairs etc. that aren't beside each other. also the HP uses less $ in ink, ( i seem to remember it prints more per cartridge$).
    Do I like my Printer? Its a bit slow... but it does print nicely, good colour, clean never any blemishes or lines, the battery life is outstanding for such an unassuming battery( it is also very good at giving advance warning that it may need a charge) ink lasts reasonably long, I'm on my 3rd cartridge in 6 months. the bluetooth interface is just plain cool( however i was somthing pissed because Apple didn't support BT printers till about march and i bought mine in jan.) the other detractor is its size i guess, when I was shopping I would have expected portables to be smaller, but it fits nicely into my laptop bag so really it has never been an issue since i bought it. Also it is quite tough, mine gets kicked and scratched around alot and has never hesitated to spit out an invoice yet.
    -Kevin in Canada

9. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

my friend has a samsung (i think) laser printer that is actually very small. i wish i had known about it because it was $100, like my HP, and isn't much bigger (certainly less wide), plus it is white and grey, matching my ibook. sigh.