Anyone have EarthLink DSL in No VA?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blakespot, Apr 30, 2002.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Does anyone have EarthLink DSL in Alexandria, VA? They claim potential of 1.5Mbps, varying downwards based on your location. Looking for some confirmation.

Thanks.

bp

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Try...

I believe modemspeedtest.com has a chart of internet speeds. You select your area, and it will graph people that have tested from that location before. There is another sight, if the one I gave you is not it....but I can't remember its name!

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ahhh....

Yes, go to modemspeedtest.com and click the red button. Then, enter your area code, and select DSL/Cable. Even though you are not on DSL/Cable, it will chart you and others that have tested from that area on DSL/Cable.

Give it a little time once you click "Test It!"

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

New Site...

Dslreports.com is the sight that I was talking about. Once you go there, on the left side of the screen, you will see a button that says DSLR Tools. Click that button, and it will link you to a page with a whole bunch of options.

Once you are there, in the bottom left of your screen, you will see something that says Speed Test, click it. It will take you to a new page. Scroll down, and you will see a button that says "Start." Click that, and give it a little time, and then it will show you your speed.

Then, once it shows you your speed, below the chart it will ask you if you want to submit your testings to the "BroadBand Table." Do that, and select DSL as your speed, or RoadRunner, or whatever it is that you want to see. Enter in all your information about where you are, and then click the button that says "Record Results of XXXX/XXX and show fastest broadband table"

Then, it will show you all the people that have tested from your location.

BTW- My speed was 2041 kbps download and 372 kbps upload :D

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

nice site - modemspeedtest.com

I'm running a cable modem right across town from you blakespot and here are my stats

I'm happy
    :D

Attached Files:

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i'll tell ya this. i would choose cable 6 days a week and twice on sunday if you can get it instead of DSL. most people, myself included, have a hard enough time trusting their phone lines to operate their PHONES, much less a highbandwidth internet connection. RJ11 is crap.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Here...

Didn't work last time, so I am trying again...

Attached Files:

9. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Re: Try...

Yes....but before I subscribe to EarthLink, I would like to know how fast my connection is likely to be (and thus cannot perform that test, as I'm not a subscriber).

I have Verizon DSL and it sits, now, at about 512Kbps max downstream, 80Kbps upstream.

blakespot

10. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Yea...

I have Verizon DSL and am now trying out Comcast Cable Internet as well. Indeed, Comcast gives me 1100Kbps or so downstream in the modem test. Very acceptable (and faster than what I see from DukeStreet's chart). <b>BUT...</b>

The connection is sporadic. First, when I look at NetMonitor's (OS X app) graph of what's happening through my ethernet port on DSL it is a solid graph of a sustained speed for, say, a file sitting at about 60K/sec (480Kbps). With cable hooked up, I get a wild fluctiation, many times a second from speeds of 20K/sec to 300K/sec averaging out the zig-zag at about 150K/sec. And 150K/sec is about what you'd expect. Seems odd to me, but apparently has to do with speed throttling (packets get tossed when you exceed a cap, then it resends, etc. giving you the proper average.) But that's just odd, not problematic...

What's problematic is the dropouts. You don't notice it with the web or FTP, etc. But when I play Quake 3 I get slightly better pingtimes than on DSL (yay!) but every minute, there is at least one and more likely 2-4 "connection interrupted" pauses of about 2-4 seconds. Some lasting for 20-30 seconds. Some longer, but rare. This does not happen w/ DSL. There is not a single server out there that I connect to where this does not happen on cable. It's incredibly annoying.

I am not a Quake 3 or die kind of guy, but it represents a problem. I do like on-line gaming and Comcast's implementation is clearly not up to the task, despite it being superior to DSL when it's not experiencing a connection interrupted moment. Also a negative is the 1GB/month cap on usenet (newsgroup) usage. For $12 / mo additional you get up to 6GB/mo. (They go through GigaNews). To illustrate, I dl'ed 60GB worth of data in February from the usenet. Clearly I'd like to not have to pay additional for that. Verizon has unlimited usenet access, presently.

So...I am going to drop cable--I tried it, but not acceptable. I was going to stick with Verizon (I'm grandfathered in at $39.95/mo with them and a static IP) but now it seems EarthLink might be faster (tho $10 more/month). We'll see...

blakespot