Anyone have experience with the OWC firewire HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, May 3, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Hi, anyone here have experience with the OWC firewire 800 Hard drive? The price is fantastic, and the drive (IBM/HITACHI) is nice too. I guess I'm wondering about reliability and user experience. It will be used for audio files. Thanks!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

My OWC Firewire drive is awesome. 36MB/sec sustained read and write over firewire 400!!! I use it for video and its blazing fast. It came with all sorts of cool shareware and Apple movies/videos. I recommend it to everyone, and have had 2 or 3 people buy other OWC drives, and they too love the drives. Never had a problem, tech support at OWC is excellent. They deal with the end user directly... never been shuffled around from one person to another. 10/10 IMO

3. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

How long have you had it for? My main concern is longevity. Also, is it quiet? I have a dual Seagate custom system on backorder, but I'm starting to think it may not be necessary at this point. Thanks!

p.s. as much as I do not like Lacie products, I do like how they shut down when the computer does. Is this the case with the OWC?

4. gemio17 macrumors regular

I have the usb 2.0 owc external hd- which I also use for audio- works great, I've had it for a little over 3 months now and I love it-it's really quiet, has a cool blue light to show you that it's on (not that that makes a diff) I must agree that the price is right for a quality piece of hardware! The only problem I had was not being able to get the rubber feet to stick on- but that really has nothing to do with performance, just a little peeve....