Anyone Have Small Pets? (hamsters, guinea pigs.....)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Apr 13, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I was thinkin' about gettin' sumthin' like a hamster or some other small type of pet. My friend got a bird, and all it does is sit there, it barely ever moves, and very rarely chirps. Very boring. So does anyone have any reccomendations?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I had a hamster once. Called her "Chester". I did a short VHS home movie called "The Hamster", kinda modeled after "The Bear". Needless to say, during filming, she ran away and since it was a one-man movie, I lost her in my grandma's garden. I still have the fond memories of my beloved Chester. Anybody want to see the movie?

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Used to have mice, now I have cats and fish
    mice are great pets, thry are quite trainable and will learn basic commands
    if given rewards like peanut butter but they dont live very long
    hamsters are good too but have to handle them every day or they start being human shy and bite
    rats are Ok but a bit too big and prone to getting cancer same as mice
    gerbils I dont like, their faces look stupid to me but other people swear by them
    Guinea Pigs are good too but need lots of room and big cage ,
    Rabbits a nono
    turtles are fun too but in some countries illegal to keep as pets : (
    newts and small lizards are nice to look at but not much play in them
    Frog and toads are boring
    small snakes are fun to carry around and scare people with
    scorpions, tarantulas and the like are not pets and never will be
    hermit crabs are fine if alive and not fussy eaters

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I've got a pet tree frog (among many many other different animals) and it is easily one of the best things to watch. Have you ever seen a frog eat a cricket? It's amazing! :eek: Also, if you live in the right sort of climate, just leave your terrarium lid slightly ajar and let it roam about your house freely as it please, they'll always come hopping back. They're not very cuddly but they make the coolest sounds. :D

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

If you want something lively get a chinchilla.

But as with any animal - check you can maintain it.

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Well, we have a teacup chihuahua that only weighs 7 lbs. Does it count?
    He likes to molest furniture, and has no control over his bodily functions.

You can have him if you want him. ;)

7. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I have/had a cockatiel. I hate him. He starts whistling way too early. He's addicted to his mirror. He draws blood when biting. I gave him to my grandma, who seems to enjoy him. One day I will eat that bird.

I've had a salamander, turtle, many frogs, a few snails, and scorpion before. They're not really fun, but they're cool to have.

I know someone who has a rat. They're pretty cool, and actually pretty smart. If I ever wanted a small pet, I'd think about getting one. They don't like to run around too much, but they are curious. And fuzzy.

One night (well, 4am) my friend and I went to Meijer, and saw this back-flipping hamster! That's all he did for the entire time we watched him. We even went back a little later to see if he was still doing it, and he was. The rest of the hamsters were sleeping, but this guy seemed to be on crack or something. If I was allowed to have one in my dorm, I would've bought him.

Oh, and if you get a scorpion, don't put him in the cage of any other animals you would like to keep. And interestingly enough, a frog and scorpion results in a draw. Go figure.

8. ijustin macrumors newbie

I have got two dwarf hamsters and they are ok, but too fast to handle so you cant take them out of the cage to handle them: they are incredibly fast and can dash!

I had a syrian hamster who was well cool :) .. he was my favourite little pet :D

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

syrian hamsters are very cool little guys.

we raised 4 african dwarf hedgehogs, two of them were rescue cases, and while they're fascenating creatures, i would not recommend them... they're not cuddly, playing with them is pretty difficult, most people that get one regret it (hence the starved, dehydrated, almost dead couple that we rescued, returned to the pet store for slow death). Now personally I think they're great, don't get me wrong. Three of them were albinos which are very pretty. But I'm in the minority on thinking they're enjoyable companions.

Guinea pigs are great, very affectionate, but pretty dumb. Rabbits are cute, but as a general rule, don't make good pets (they simply don't like people). Chinchillas and ferrets are pretty cool, but they're "exotics" which means vet care=really expensive and needed often. If you do get an exotic animal, get a pet insurance policy at www.petinsurance.com, they're a great company, saved me thousands.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Mmmmm...hamsters are quite tasty, but not as good as a nice Crunchy Frog.

11. jkeithh macrumors regular

12. doumbek macrumors member

My father had zebra finches for a few years while I was growing up, and I think they are a pretty cool little bird.

I hate do this..........but in the words of Garfield the cat " Guinea Pigs are cute, but are not a good source of bacon" :p

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive had hmpsters and the like befre but they were too much for me while in college, i now have a 30gal tank with two beautiful Koi

plus the filter sounds like a fountain, very relaxing

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I've got a trio of ferrets, two albinos and a sable. They're great fun, dash clever, trainable (mostly), and can eat the same food as my cat (but you have to have a minimum protein count as their digestive tract is only about 2 hours long). They live about 8-10 years on average and love to play games and teach other animals about the wonder that is ferret society. The last cat I had, they had her thinking she was a ferret half the time, which made it quite funny to see a kitten sleeping in the ferret cage surround by piles of fur.

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I've been keeping guinea pigs for years. I only have one at the moment. I love them. great animals. They can be pretty vocal (they like to squeek and beg for food, and they make a purring sound when they are being pet and are happy, and a similar sound when males are facing off on each other). Theya re also really smart. I've taught all my guinea pigs to shake hands when they want to go back to their cage when I've picked them up. Its really cute. They even started trying to use it to get other things out of me like food. Its pretty funny. They poop a lot and require a bigger cage than something like a hamster, but are fairly low maintenance. Clean them out every week or so and you are good to go. Guinea pigs do need certain foods though. They can't make their own vitamin C and so need to get it from their food. That's why you should never use rabbit food for a guinea pig unless you are supplementing it with lots of fresh vegetables every day. They are very cute too. check out http://www.cavyspirit.com they have lots of info on guinea pig care, adoption, social interactions (they do better in pairs, and in my experience, better in female pairs), and how to build a great cage on the cheap.

Hamster are really cute too. I had a few when I was younger. I would definiltey consider getting one again. a lot of fun, but aren't as mellow as guinea pigs.

Rats are really cool too. My roommate has a few and they are a lot of fun.

Just DON"T BUY FROM A PET STORE. Small animals come from terrible inhumane breeders on are often ridden with diseases, parasites and are often pregnent. Adopt one from a shelter or groups specializing in what ever animal you want to get. Never buy food or anything else from a pet store that sells pets either. it just encourages the problems. Buy from places like pet food express.

Like I said above, guinea pigs are surprisingly smart. Mine can shake hands, knows who people by their footsteps (knows who to start sqeeking for for food), figure out pretty quickly what they can do to coerce you into giving them lettuce or carrots. They are also relaly good at telling you when soemthing is wrong. Recently the water bottle I have has been getting the ball bearing in the spout stuck, and he lets me know when there's a problem by chewing on the spout and looking at me and squeeking when I walk in the room. I was really impressed by his ability to communicate and let me know exactly what the problem is. Mental giants they aren't, but smarter than a lot of people think.

16. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I'll second that chinchilla are fun, i have one. I also have two bunnies. Bunnies are nice cause they won't leave dropings outside of there cage (the chinchilla does). The chinchilla is fun cause she is a freak and lots of fun to play with.

17. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Definately agree with the chinchilla recommendation. Just about the most hilarious and fun-to-watch animal habit ever is a chinchilla convulsing about in its little dust bath to clean itself.

18. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

hamsters

i had two hamsters when i was younger. one from a big box pet store and another from a little pet shop. the one from the big box was insane having been raised in a fish tank with about 40 other hamsters. that thing was crazy and had only one desire in life-- to escape. needless to say, it did.

the hamster i bought from the little pet shop was fricken awesome. she was sweet and cute. behaved extremely well. had no desire to leave me and never pooped or urinated on me.

moral of the story:
    if you get a hamster, don't go to the big box store. go to your local pet shop or look in the classifieds for someone that has had a litter. they are the best

Brian

19. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I was thinking of getting a lab mouse(little white one). I was wondering what do they eat and can i use like a card board box as a sort of cage?

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Cardboard box as cage will last about a hour before the mouse escapes by gnawing thru it. a glass aquarium is good, wire cages with solid bottom are good too , the plastic cages after while absorb the urine smell and stink.

they eat seeds, nuts fresh grass or hay, carrots, broccoli, watermelon, cauliflower, occasionally cheese and pieces of meat , beef or pork bones are great for them to chew on, dry pasta is good to but no rice they choke on that for some reason. Peanut and other nut butter make great treats as does a chunk of unsalted butter
    I would not get a white lab mouse they are prone to getting mammary cancer, something about the way they have been selectively bred

21. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Have a small puffer fish. cute and it "puffs up." But need live fish, shrimps, etc for it's diet.

Can't touch it since it has sharp teeth.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I've had pets all of my life. Dogs have been the mainstay that has lasted to this day. Growing up I also had a hamster, all that I remember is it running around the wheel. Fish are also nice, kept them in the living room. It's very relaxing to watch them. They are a lot of work to keep the tank clean. I had a parakeet that was very active in the cage and chirping. Also remember having a cockatiel, learned to talk the standard phrases.

23. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have salt water fish. I have a 60 gallon bow front tank located in my living room. Fish are not the most fun animals to play with obviously and salt water are hard to care for but salt water creatures are just amazing to look at. I have a friend who is a biologist and long time salt water fish tank expert so every week she comes over to make sure everything is running smoothly.

I am considering getting another tank to possibly get sea horses. Though I am not sure how many fish tanks you can have before your house looks to fishy. Octopi would be cool too. Jelly fish too but they need a special tank to live in that simulates the ocean current.

24. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

A Pair Tortoises...

... named NaNa & Bubba. Will post pics when I get the chance. Also gotta bird named Charley.

Attached Files:

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is awesome, i wish i could work the guts up for a salt water tank, but it is a lot of work indeed

my Koi are wonderful though, they are darn smart too imo, they know how to get my attention if they are hungry if i forget to feed 'em in the morning on my way out.....

the tank really isnt all that hard for me to care for anymore either, the filter is great and with just two fish in the tank it stays clean for a long time