anyone have stats on PB sales by model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rtdunham, Jan 11, 2004.

1. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2003
    St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
    I don't remember ever seeing stats on the percentages of PBs sold for 12", 15", and 17".

It would SEEM like that's pertinent info that ought to be available on products from a publicly-held company. I know the execs have been pretty blunt with the analysts at past quarterly earnings report press calls, and said "we're just not gonna say" to various questions.

But do we have good stats on the breakdown of sales by PB models, or is that another close-to-the-vest subject?

2. synergy macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2002
    Re: anyone have stats on PB sales by model?

Apple only breaks down sales of laptops verses desktops. They don't break down individual numbers usually unless it is in their interests. i.e. They sold a ton of the high end more expensive iMacs, then they might tell you. They are under no obligation to tell you the individual numbers.
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't consider this a strong indication but last summer/spring the 12" powerbook was in the Top Sellers category. none of the other powerbooks were in there until they got updated in the fall
  4. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    rtdunham: are you working for Dell? ;)

Seriously, this is a super secret information and it is expected that they wouldnt agree to say it. Knowing this number could be very usefull for a competitor.

From what I have heard from a good source in Canada, the sellers are the PB 12" and iBooks (dont know which).

The reason the 12" is so much downstripped is to make sure that certain buyer will move to the 15" instead. Kinda the opposite of what they did with the dual 1.8 vs the dual 2.0.

Personnaly, I would be interested in knowing the distribution of the iMac line because the only dif is the price and the screen size.
  5. badabing macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    Well if you look at the top sellers of the Apple online store its:

1. iTunes Gift Certificate
    2. iPod
    3. Griffin iTrip
    4. Power Mac G5
    5. PowerBook 15"
    6. Mac OS X v10.3
    7. inMotion Speakers
    8. iSight
    9. iBook 12"
    10. Belkin iPod Auto

the 12" and 17" PBs don't make the top20.
    Now it can be a different story at Apple Stores and reselllers, but I'd bet on the 15"
  6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    Most of the sales arent coming form the Apple store, they are coming from the edu channel.

Also, I doupt the best seller list include the sales of more than the last week because when a new product is included, it reach the top 5 in the first 24 hours...

For the laptop analysis, I base my choice on another point: laptop bags!!! When I was looking for a bag for my 12", I had to order it because it was sold out while all the 15 and 17" were availlable. But its not a scientific study since it could also be the fault of the 12" iBook...
  7. badabing macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    The list does change often, and is probably a weekly chart, but the PB 15" is always on the list.

You do have a good point about the edu channel, there is a good possibility a bunch of sales come through there.

The laptop bag analysis is useless though (not to say the other ones are at all scientific), because being sold out can be due to supply more than demand.
  8. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    I agree, its more driven by the supply, its logical BUT supply are bought according to the forcast and forcast are usually made by the store owner according to what he see on the market. So its not THAT useless, still I wouldnt bet much on it...