Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Just wondering if I really need to order online, wait a week and all that, just for more ram.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It really depends on your usage. Do you run a lot of memory intensive apps all at the same time that would make use of the added memory? If not, you will be fine with the standard configuration.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
It really depends on your usage. Do you run a lot of memory intensive apps all at the same time that would make use of the added memory? If not, you will be fine with the standard configuration.

I do some multitasking but nothing really crazy. The only thing that worries me is if Apple bumps the required memory for its next OS.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I do some multitasking but nothing really crazy. The only thing that worries me is if Apple bumps the required memory for its next OS.

Considering this year's base machine comes with 4 GB of RAM, Apple will not bump up the minimum. Things will always run better with more RAM, storage space, processing power, etc, but next year's OS won't *need* 8 GB of RAM.

You can use this tool to try and figure out what Macbook fits your usage habits...

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Considering this year's base machine comes with 4 GB of RAM, Apple will not bump up the minimum. Things will always run better with more RAM, storage space, processing power, etc, but next year's OS won't *need* 8 GB of RAM.

You can use this tool to try and figure out what Macbook fits your usage habits...

Hey thanks, that was a pretty useful tool. It recommended the base model 13" MBA OR the same thing but with 8 GB. Lol

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Hey thanks, that was a pretty useful tool. It recommended the base model 13" MBA OR the same thing but with 8 GB. Lol

It'll always recommend the "minimum" for your needs, plus any configurations that are more expensive or more powerful, so if it recommended both then you may not need the 8 GB of RAM.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Also has anyone bought through MacMall? I see they have the MBA for $100 less.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have two of them and find them very speedy. I do not encode a lot of video or audio except for home use and they are fine for that.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Also has anyone bought through MacMall? I see they have the MBA for $100 less.

I always buy through them because they're cheaper and don't charge tax. Always been flawless Macs and I'd definitely recommend them. If they charge tax in your state (if you're in the US), you may want to look at Amazon or someplace else though.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
No issues yet on 4 GB RAM for me, although I guess I can't definitely say that my MBA would not run better with more RAM.

Right now, my 2012 MBA 13 is my primary machine. I connect it to an ACD when I'm working in my home office. I do mainstream browsing, word processing-text editing, spreadsheet, and basic image editing and basic web updating tasks -- all with mac software. No heavy duty image editing or VM's. Although I think my mind would be more at ease with 8GB RAM, the base model MBA 13 is working ridiculously well for me.

Out of curiosity, I did play around with Windows 7 and 8 on Parallels and Fusion, and Virtual Box with Ubuntu. The Windows set-ups seemed to work better than I had expected for my brief evaluation.

I bought my MBA 13 used off CL, but if I had bought one new with the intention of keeping it for more than a year, I would have waited to get a BTO model with the extra RAM. Longer term, it keeps your options open and it will help resale when it is time to upgrade.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
No issues yet on 4 GB RAM for me, although I guess I can't definitely say that my MBA would not run better with more RAM.

Right now, my 2012 MBA 13 is my primary machine. I connect it to an ACD when I'm working in my home office. I do mainstream browsing, word processing-text editing, spreadsheet, and basic image editing and basic web updating tasks -- all with mac software. No heavy duty image editing or VM's. Although I think my mind would be more at ease with 8GB RAM, the base model MBA 13 is working ridiculously well for me.

Out of curiosity, I did play around with Windows 7 and 8 on Parallels and Fusion, and Virtual Box with Ubuntu. The Windows set-ups seemed to work better than I had expected for my brief evaluation.

I bought my MBA 13 used off CL, but if I had bought one new with the intention of keeping it for more than a year, I would have waited to get a BTO model with the extra RAM. Longer term, it keeps your options open and it will help resale when it is time to upgrade.

Hmm yeah this is exactly what I would be doing with mine so it's hard to justify the extra ram. Still though if I can buy it cheaper off MacMall then maybe I'll just go for the extra ram.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hmm yeah this is exactly what I would be doing with mine so it's hard to justify the extra ram. Still though if I can buy it cheaper off MacMall then maybe I'll just go for the extra ram.

Whoops looks like you actually can't save and customize on MacMall. Selecting 8 GB of RAM is $170 through them.

Nathan576

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
it runs fine, I have an app called freememory pro and everytime I have less than 500mg of ram free it purges out the inactive ram which is like 1gb. I think I want to sell this though and get something with more power and having only 4gb will be a problem 1 or 2 years down the road to sell

tigert07

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I have this air and it works fantastic for my uses. I use at my university so I run word/powerpoint like programs and they work just fine. I was debating a macbook pro but decided that I loved the 13 inch form factor. Would not go the other way. amazing machine.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I have this air and it works fantastic for my uses. I use at my university so I run word/powerpoint like programs and they work just fine. I was debating a macbook pro but decided that I loved the 13 inch form factor. Would not go the other way. amazing machine.

Awesome and yeah I absolutely love the thin, sleek design of the Air. So excited to get mine soon.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Just wondering if I really need to order online, wait a week and all that, just for more ram.

My wife has a 2012 MBA with 4gb RAM, and I would definitely order more RAM. Its a decision you can't go wrong with. You will notice the improvement if you are running multiple programs, multiple desktops, dozens of tabs, or work with large data images/videos/data sets. Also helpful if you plan to boot camp or virtualize.

n2deep

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Buy the extra RAM!!!! I upgraded my MP from 2G to 8G and it made a word of difference. Plus if you plan on keeping the machine for a few years it will give you a longer life span. My mid 2009 MP is running like a champ but I did just purchase a 2012 MA and I maxed everything out except for the hard drive. I went with the 256 ssd drive. This should give me a good 4 years or so of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.