Anyone have the Invisible Shield for their iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MattyMac, Jun 12, 2006.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I recently orded a 30gb iPod and am going to need a case. I was planning on just using a sock, since I dont like the size increase and the change in look due to other cases. I noticed there is an invisible shield, however it seems to be only a piece of plastic??, and similar to the one that comes with the ipod protecting it in the box. Is this true, I dont think it would be like this for almost 20$.

Anyone have one on their iPod, do you like it, make any comments you have please...I definitely want to keep this iPod immaculate.

possible photos too?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The invisible shield is an amazing screen protector, but that doesn't do it justice since it is designed to protect all of the iPod. I give it 2 thumbs up. :D

3. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

so it does protect the sides top and bottom? On the site, it seems to just be a sticker on the top?

Anyone with photos?

4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

there was a good review with photos when the ipod nano first came out.

I have it and it covers back, top, and sides. Only thing it doesn't really cover are bits at the corners, the headphone jack/dock connector, and the lock button.

It's not really that sticky, you gotta wet it and then for the next 30 minutes apply and reapply until no bubbles exist and the sides are stuck down well and nothing's over the edges. The application process is annoying but it's really worth it, the invisible shield is really really good. It's like stuck permanently (you can remove it if you tried though, I have), and no scratches get through. All the hairline scratches that you might have had before disappear under the plastic.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

isn't their a huge thread somewhere on this. A lot of users here have it, and i don't re-call any complaints. Also you can get the powersupport crystal film, I have that and it does the job. It just helps with scratches. If you want a case to protect the ipod from falls and bumps look elsewhere

6. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

It seems like a good protector, however once it is removed will it leave a sticky residue?

....also, what is this powersupport crystal film you speak of puckhead, any link?

7. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

no, it doesn't leave any residue.

The best thing about the invisible shield is the protection of the sides. First off the back gets scratched more easily than anything else, and the front needs care (especially with black), but you don't want an ipod that has a nice back and front and scratched up sides =)

8. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I don't have an IS myself, but I strongly considered it at one point. My main concern was dropping it wouldn't protect it at all. Although, I'm ultra careful so I likely wouldn't drop it but you never know. I ended up getting a Contour i-See clear case which I love, it doesnt really change the look much at all. It does add some bulk, though, but I can remove the belt clip and can still easily fit it in my jeans pocket. Plus when bike riding the clip come in handy.

9. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Actually, I feel like dropping it with the Invisible Shield on does protect it. Not major drops, mind you, but it doesn't seem like the screen would crack with the shield on. It protects against chips too. Just watch the video on the invisible shield website. Some guy takes a key and tries to scratch the iPod hard and the invisible shield protects it. They also have a video of them trying to break or tear the invisible shield and it's really hard to break.

Edit: I hate to sound like a salesman but I really like the invisible shield. I had the full top one (without the cutout) and I think it might've messed around with the center button, so I replaced it with the one with the scroll wheel cutout and it looks beautiful now.

10. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

11. DCBass macrumors 6502

My Little review of the IS

I have the IS on my 30gb black 5g.

The rainydaymagazine review pretty much says it all. Note that, unlike in their second review of it, it does not come with any applicator solution.

I like it a whole lot. I don't watch a lot of videos or anything, but I would still rather not see my screen or back get marred. I applied it the day I got my iPod, and the thing looks brand new still.

IS consists of four parts: face, click wheel, center button, and back/sides. I found the back/sides piece to be the most challenging, but I finally did get it to line up pretty nicely with the ports and the hold switch.

Keep in mind though that it's a pain to apply. If you follow rainyday's instructions, you'll be fine. Just be sure to wait the full 24 hours after applying.

I sitll bought a case for it afterwards (the case-mate from target) for drop protection. I think it's a pretty good combo for myself.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-DCBass

12. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Thanks, everyone has been a big help...I just wish it wasnt so darn expensive...but definitely worth the cost I guess.

It does seem kind of dangerous to add a liquid on the iPod when applying the IS...but other people have done it, so I suppose it doesn't affect anything.

Thanks again everyone!

13. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Also....we have to pay to read rainy days article?

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've been using the Power Support Crystal film for both my 5G and nano, and it works great.... although there is a possible new product that would replace them.
    Its from Power Support again but its called Liquid Titanium. Its a solution which you apply to the front of the iPod which not only turns it back to an as new condition, but protects agains scratches etc for up to 6 months before needing another application. Sounds great to me!

Have a looks at the "First Looks" section on iLounge.com. They sound very positive about it, and I'll be very interested in the final review....

15. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I used to have the IS on my iPod and it was great. it did eventually get small scratches on it though. I now use an eVo3 which i love. The eVo3 offers much more drop protection and the plastic doesn't scratch as easily as Agent18 or other clear cases.

I had a bunch of entries in the last thread about the IS - mostly about application. YOu have to be VERY careful not to use too much water. Two co-workers of mine killed their iPods by using too much water. One turned his on before the 24 hour drying period was up - that created nice rainbow patterns across the screen. The other had water seep in through the (untaped) ports and killed the HD. When applied well the IS is excellent. It is very frustrating to put on. Some folks can do it in 1/2 hour - others take hours and never get it right. It's ike the old "Operation" commercial said "It takes a very steady hand..."

16. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    The IS is amazing. If you happen to scratch something across it (Unless mind you it's an X-acto or something), the screen will show the scratch for a few minutes, then it will just fade away.

I'll post some pics in a minute.

17. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Sorry for the delay, damn work got in the way of my posting. It takes some patience to get it on right, but it is well worth the effort.

Attached Files:

18. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

whoa, wait... which one is it that you're talking about?

edit: ah, just re-read it. the "IS" apparently. i gotta look this thing up... it sounds sweet.

19. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Yeah, check out the vids.

http://www.shieldzone.com/movie/index.html

20. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i have them on all my iPod's very good shield i would say.. I have used the evo3's and iskin, this the only sheild that will work when docking it in my car port. it leaves the intire bottom open... i know it can scratch and what not but its worth it.

21. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Looks nice! No cover on the click wheel though? So how hard was it to put on...looks like it came out pretty good.

Also, does anyone know if shield zone offers any kind of discount or coupon or anything, it is still so hard to justify 25$ plus for this?

22. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

It is worth it. A buddy of mine has the RAZR V3x and got a cell phone cut to cover his phone, he carries in his pocket all day, with change etc and nothing, no idea.

As far as the click wheel part goes, you can get one that covers it. (Well you used to be able to, haven't looked.) I didn't want that, the shield is a little tacky to the touch, and I thought it might make the wheel feel wierd.

It really isn't that hard to put on. If you've put the water applicated decals on a model car or airplane before, this shouldn't be a prob. You just have to be patient and not worried about trying again.

For my install, I just got a dixie cup about 3/4 full of water, and a couple of drops of liquid dish soap, put on my rubber gloves and got to work. I didn't submerge the IS like everything else I read, I just rubbed the soapy water on the side that goes against the iPod so it didn't get too wet and then proceded to apply. I had one prob when I was smoothing out with the Credit Card on the button, and thats it! Word to the wise, it's hard to let it sit for 24 hours, but it is highly recommended just in case.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

23. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

24. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I like how you have to wet it to squeeze out all of the bubbles.

25. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Finished the install....it looks sweeeeeeeeeet:D

...now I just have to wait 24 hours before using.