anyone have the OWC mercury elite-AL quad interface external enclosure?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robcts, Oct 31, 2006.

1. robcts macrumors regular

2. SRSound macrumors 6502

I own the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Classic, and if it helps to know, it works wonderfully. I bought it as a high-intensity write drive for mobile audio production and it can handle quite a bit; never a hiccup BUT don't install the Retrospect software that comes with it unless you want to seriously mess up your computer!

3. robcts thread starter macrumors regular

luckily the bare drive version doesn't come with any software :) thanks for the help.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Why do you say that!?!

I just ordered a newertech v2 miniStack and it is coming tomorrow. It includeds the Retrospect backup software as well as some disk utilities.

What happened?

5. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

As do I and I have never had a single problem with it. The included videos and apps are a kick too. I am thinking about upgrading to the quad port version but holding off until this one finally gives up.

So far <knock on silicon> its being a trooper.

6. ironjaw macrumors 6502

Anyone from the UK who have purchased the enclosure, any experiences regarding custom duties?

7. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Works great

I have it and it works great. I purchased it to go with my MBP, and I use it with the Firmtek eSata expresscard/34. I have a Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300GB, 16mb cache, drive in it, and it's fast. I also have an iMac, so I can easily transfer files between computers using firewire 400. One note, you definitely can hear the drive spinning (I imagine the aluminum does nothing to muffle the sound).