Anyone have this LaCie external drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sw1tcher, Jul 9, 2005.

1. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Hi. Just wondering if anyone here has this external LaCie drive. I know it's USB 2.0 only and there's no Firewire, but I can get this unit really really cheap (approx. $30).

How reliable is this? If the unit craps out on me, can I open up the unit and replace the HDD with another one? Is it easy?

This is just a backup drive. That's it, so the lack of Firewire isn't too much of a big deal for me now.

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have 3 LaCie external HD's and have had no problems with any of them. They work really well. $30 for that is really really cheap, i am not sure the condition you will get it in but if it had no problems you should not.

I always try to buy something new even if it costs me a bit of extra $$$, i have had so many problems with used stuff.

3. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

4. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

5. sw1tcher thread starter macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Actually, $0 (new) now ;) if I return a 160GB Maxtor I was gonna use to make an external backup drive with. The LaCie's on sale all week at Staples.

Can't remember how much I got the Maxtor for, but it was dirt cheap.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have the lacie d2 250 GB. it's not the porsche design but i guess the electronics is the same. no problems here. have two partitions on it, runs like a charm. before i bought it i checked if there a bad reviews about lacie. there were none so it seems to be a good drive.

7. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I am going to be ordering one of the lacie dvd d2 with light scribe I'm jelious ;) To me Lacie means quality good company that doesnt sell crap

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not sure of all of the differences between models, but I just walked into the Apple store a year ago, picked up a LaCie 250GB external, plugged it in and it has worked like a charm. I even use the SilverKeeper software for back up. First time I've ever really had a back up strategy since the days of inserting floppy after floppy. :rolleyes:

I back up to it usually once ever couple of weeks, and have never had a problem with it.

Good luck with your purchase.
    I doubt you can go wrong at $30

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]