Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
Hi

Anyone having iDisk problems?

i open a finder window and click on iDisk and nothing happens - if i go to my iDisk through the go option i get a WebDAV File System Authentication - and to enter my username and p/w

I have never seen this window before and no matter what I enter its telling me it is incorrect. Usually I just click on iDisk and im in.

Any ideas anyone? I seem to be having a day of problems.

Scot

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Hi

Anyone having iDisk problems?

i open a finder window and click on iDisk and nothing happens - if i go to my iDisk through the go option i get a WebDAV File System Authentication - and to enter my username and p/w

I have never seen this window before and no matter what I enter its telling me it is incorrect. Usually I just click on iDisk and im in.

Any ideas anyone? I seem to be having a day of problems.

Scot
Go to http://www.mac.com/ and log in as yourself. If it lets you in, then continue. If it doesn't, something's wrong with your account (perhaps it expired and you didn't set it to auto-renew). Go into your account settings (click on your username next to where it says Logout). Does anything look funny there? Can you access other .Mac features, like Webmail and Bookmarks?

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Go to http://www.mac.com/ and log in as yourself. If it lets you in, then continue. If it doesn't, something's wrong with your account (perhaps it expired and you didn't set it to auto-renew). Go into your account settings (click on your username next to where it says Logout). Does anything look funny there? Can you access other .Mac features, like Webmail and Bookmarks?

Have no problems logging into ,mac.com - i can access everything on there - bookmarks, address book, homepage etc and nothing looks odd in my account settings. Also i'm not due to renew until march here is a pic of the box im getting. The user name auto filled in with my computers "short name" - i have tried that password and also put my .mac username and p/w aswell.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 46

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Have no problems logging into ,mac.com - i can access everything on there - bookmarks, address book, homepage etc and nothing looks odd in my account settings. Also i'm not due to renew until march here is a pic of the box im getting. The user name auto filled in with my computers "short name" - i have tried that password and also put my .mac username and p/w aswell.
That's very strange. I'd try three things:
1. Make a new user account, enter your .Mac information, and try accessing it from there. If that works, it's a user account problem. If it doesn't work, try #2.
2. Try accessing your iDisk from another computer on your network (running Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows XP). If that works, then something's wrong with your computer (a problem affecting all users). If that also fails, then try #3.
3. Do #2 again with a computer that isn't on your network. If this attempt succeeds, you've got a network problem. If failure strikes yet again...I'm not sure where the root cause of your issue lies. It could be any number of things - anything from a temporary connection problem with the iDisk server to something funky on the network between the computers used for #2 and #3 to the iDisk server.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
tried a couple of those points - i logged into my partners account (on the same computer) and selected connect to another users idisk and the same password promt came up with his short user name!

Could someone try to access my public folder - there is no password on there - just my name scotrobson (one T)

Thanks
Scot

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
tried a couple of those points - i logged into my partners account (on the same computer) and selected connect to another users idisk and the same password promt came up with his short user name!

Could someone try to access my public folder - there is no password on there - just my name scotrobson (one T)

Thanks
Scot
I got into your Public folder just fine.
I see you tried #1 and failed - that suggests that the scope of the problem is wider than just your user account. Does your partner have an iDisk? If so, is it accessible?

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
I got into your Public folder just fine.
I see you tried #1 and failed - that suggests that the scope of the problem is wider than just your user account. Does your partner have an iDisk? If so, is it accessible?

Thanks - i just got a mate of mine to log into my iDisk with my user name and password and he got in fine! - My partner doesnt have an idisk at all.

So how many is that ive tried?

Ps feel free to watch the Madonna Tour clips if you wanna LOL

Also a friend of mine on Windows Xp can get into my public folder fine

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Thanks - i just got a mate of mine to log into my iDisk with my user name and password and he got in fine! - My partner doesnt have an idisk at all.

So how many is that ive tried?

Ps feel free to watch the Madonna Tour clips if you wanna LOL

Also a friend of mine on Windows Xp can get into my public folder fine
That's probably #3 - and you got a success. The problem could either be with your network (iDisk requests are blocked by a firewall, for example) or just your machine (WebDAV is corrupt, for example). The way to determine which is to run test #2.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
That's probably #3 - and you got a success. The problem could either be with your network (iDisk requests are blocked by a firewall, for example) or just your machine (WebDAV is corrupt, for example). The way to determine which is to run test #2.

I dont have another computer to connect it too this network - but another mac and another pc on seperate networks have been able to get in.

So if WebDAV is corrupt do you know how i solve that?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
I dont have another computer to connect it too this network - but another mac and another pc on seperate networks have been able to get in.

So if WebDAV is corrupt do you know how i solve that?
If your WebDAV's messed up, reinstalling Mac OS X will fix it.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
If your WebDAV's messed up, reinstalling Mac OS X will fix it.

No way! Is that the only thing i can do? So do you think it looks like that is the problem from what i have tried?

and thank you for all your help.

:)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
No way! Is that the only thing i can do? So do you think it looks like that is the problem from what i have tried?

and thank you for all your help.

:)
That's by FAR the easiest way to fix the example issue I described. However, I still don't know for sure if it's WebDAV on your machine or some other issue, like corrupt preferences. If you do decide to reinstall Mac OS X, I recommend an Archive and Install with the Preserve Users and Network Settings option.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
That's by FAR the easiest way to fix the example issue I described. However, I still don't know for sure if it's WebDAV on your machine or some other issue, like corrupt preferences. If you do decide to reinstall Mac OS X, I recommend an Archive and Install with the Preserve Users and Network Settings option.

Well I have a new iMac on the way so i'm not going to bother. Also my music is not backed up at the moment :eek:

When I get my new mac up and running and all files transfered I will wipe this one and reinstall. I can live without iDisk for another 2 weeks.

Thanks again for all you help wrldwzrd
Scot

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:

Ok another update. I just tried to log into the acc as another new user and got this message pop up - any ideas if this might be the cause of the problem?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 52

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Ok another update. I just tried to log into the acc as another new user and got this message pop up - any ideas if this might be the cause of the problem?
Let's just say that this error further reinforces my earlier conclusions, but doesn't help me narrow down the root cause.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
What was your conclusion?
My conclusion was that it's either a problem with your machine or a problem with your network, but which one or what the specific problem is is not yet known.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
My conclusion was that it's either a problem with your machine or a problem with your network, but which one or what the specific problem is is not yet known.

hmmm my broadband account is being regraded as from tomorrow to a faster service do you think it is possible that it may be the cause of the problem?

Also i get the same error message as the one i just posted when i try to log into my friends public iDisk

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
hmmm my broadband account is being regraded as from tomorrow to a faster service do you think it is possible that it may be the cause of the problem?

Also i get the same error message as the one i just posted when i try to log into my friends public iDisk
I now know that your iDisk isn't broken (but I knew that already when I connected to your Public folder). Odds are that if it's a network problem, a router/firewall misconfiguration is to blame, not the speed of your broadband connection. If it's a local machine problem, something's probably wrong with WebDAV, since you said regular internet and email work just fine. More than that I still cannot determine from the information I have. You have your Mac hooked up to a router, right? I'd recommend the following test to eliminate the router as a possible cause: disconnect the router from the network and connect directly to the cable/DSL modem. If iDisk works, you've got a network problem. If it doesn't, you've got a local machine problem, which a reinstall of Mac OS X (or a new Mac) should fix. Do you have any third-party firewall software running or GUI configuration tools for the built-in firewall in Mac OS X? If so, turn them off and try again to eliminate that as a cause.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
You have your Mac hooked up to a router, right? I'd recommend the following test to eliminate the router as a possible cause: disconnect the router from the network and connect directly to the cable/DSL modem. If iDisk works, you've got a network problem. If it doesn't, you've got a local machine problem, which a reinstall of Mac OS X (or a new Mac) should fix. Do you have any third-party firewall software running or GUI configuration tools for the built-in firewall in Mac OS X? If so, turn them off and try again to eliminate that as a cause.

Yeah i use a router, but this is where im confused. Im not that great on computers - so when you say disconnect from the network - i dont really know what that means or how to do it. and to connect to the cable/dsl modem means nothing to me either im afraid :(

The only firewall i have running is the OSX one which i have always had on - have tried turning that off but made no difference.

I have also just gone into idisk prefs and selected to set up local copy on my computer which it did ok - but there is nothing in it - i think i have to sync it somehow

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Yeah i use a router, but this is where im confused. Im not that great on computers - so when you say disconnect from the network - i dont really know what that means or how to do it. and to connect to the cable/dsl modem means nothing to me either im afraid :(

The only firewall i have running is the OSX one which i have always had on - have tried turning that off but made no difference.

I have also just gone into idisk prefs and selected to set up local copy on my computer which it did ok - but there is nothing in it - i think i have to sync it somehow

Okay, let me explain. Right now you have the Mac connected to the router (I'm assuming via an Ethernet cable), and the router connected to the cable/DSL modem (also assuming Ethernet connection). What I'm asking you to try doing is disconnect the cable connecting the Mac and router, disconnect the cable connecting the router and cable/DSL modem, and connect the cable that was once the Mac-to-router cable to the cable/DSL modem, thus "bypassing" the router.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Okay, let me explain. Right now you have the Mac connected to the router (I'm assuming via an Ethernet cable), and the router connected to the cable/DSL modem (also assuming Ethernet connection). What I'm asking you to try doing is disconnect the cable connecting the Mac and router, disconnect the cable connecting the router and cable/DSL modem, and connect the cable that was once the Mac-to-router cable to the cable/DSL modem, thus "bypassing" the router.

My phone line goes into the back of my router which then connects to my iMac - I dont understand the cable/DSL modem part sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.