Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
My phone line goes into the back of my router which then connects to my iMac - I dont understand the cable/DSL modem part sorry
Okay I guess you don't have broadband then. In that case, connect the phone line directly to your iMac, bypassing the router.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Okay I guess you don't have broadband then. In that case, connect the phone line directly to your iMac, bypassing the router.

I do have broadband, I know that much! lol - cant connect the phone line direct to the mac at the moment but will give it a go later. Will have to set up a free dial up acc with someone.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
I do have broadband, I know that much! lol - cant connect the phone line direct to the mac at the moment but will give it a go later. Will have to set up a free dial up acc with someone.
If you're connected through a phone line and have broadband, you MUST have a DSL modem between the phone line and the Mac. I'm saying take the router out of the loop - just have the phone line to DSL modem to iMac, rather than phone line to DSL modem to router to iMac.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
If you're connected through a phone line and have broadband, you MUST have a DSL modem between the phone line and the Mac. I'm saying take the router out of the loop - just have the phone line to DSL modem to iMac, rather than phone line to DSL modem to router to iMac.

Hi wrldwzrd - didnt have a change to reply until now, thanks for getting back to me.

Ok from my phone socket in the wall I have a "splitter" pluged in. From that comes my phone line and an extension to my computer room at the end of the house. I then have another splitter and from that one wire goes to the back of my router. Then I have the ethernet cable going from the back of my router to my mac. - Out of that lot im not sure what the DSL modem is - sorry for being so thick. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Hi wrldwzrd - didnt have a change to reply until now, thanks for getting back to me.

Ok from my phone socket in the wall I have a "splitter" pluged in. From that comes my phone line and an extension to my computer room at the end of the house. I then have another splitter and from that one wire goes to the back of my router. Then I have the ethernet cable going from the back of my router to my mac. - Out of that lot im not sure what the DSL modem is - sorry for being so thick. :)
You know what? I think you have one of those combination DSL modem/routers, in which case my suggestion won't work. In that case...maybe your earlier suggestion about setting up a temporary dial-up connection for testing purposes would be a good idea at this point. I feel so bad for you (and myself) because your setup means that several of my suggestions are not available/possible for you to test.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
You know what? I think you have one of those combination DSL modem/routers, in which case my suggestion won't work. In that case...maybe your earlier suggestion about setting up a temporary dial-up connection for testing purposes would be a good idea at this point. I feel so bad for you (and myself) because your setup means that several of my suggestions are not available/possible for you to test.

no problem - i thank you for all your help.

Will try the dial up thing this weekend (Sat) when i have more spare time! I will let you know how it goes.

Scot

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
ScotRobson said:
no problem - i thank you for all your help.

Will try the dial up thing this weekend (Sat) when i have more spare time! I will let you know how it goes.

Scot

Hi mate, I thought this would interest you. My problem is now solved, but not intentionally - have a look at this thread I started as I was having problems in other areas!

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1052943#post1052943

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.