Anyone having problems with iTunes4 ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uhlawboi80, Apr 28, 2003.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

well, like always, i got the update to quicktime and iTunes almost as soon as they were posted...wanted to see what was new and see the music store.

NOW, i am studying and listening to iTunes, but its buggy. CDs i ripped yeterday are acting odd...well the MP3s that is. I have had MP3s skipping and bumpiing...and i am only running iTunes and iChat so system slowups shouldnt be that bad. ALSO i am noticing volume fluctuations in songs that were NOT there yesterday. They seem to be happening in similar or the same spot in certain tracks. I either notice the volume just drop for no reason mid song or in some instances its a constant ebbing and flowing of volume. Its subtle, but once i thought something was goofy i was relistening to tracks like 6 times and it keeps happening. Again, these are the exact tracks i listened to while studying last night and iTunes 3 didnt do this to the tracks at all! :mad:

Anyone else having iTunes4 actin up??

2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

No problems here

I downloaded and installed Quicktime 6.2 and iTunes 4 and haven't had any problems. The only thing that annoyed me a little was when I tried to click on some items in the Music Store and I would get a "405" error or something like that. The problem hasn't happened for a few hours so Apple fixed it I guess.

3. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i have been further listening to my MP3 collection to see how broad or narrow the problem is. Seems that it only is affecting the 3 CDs i ripped yesterday from inside iTunes. Though, these are the only 3 CDs i have ripped in close to 6 months and they are 3 of onl 7 total ripped in iTunes. Not sure why they are doing this...seeing as the problem seems issolated i suppose i will just trash the CDs and re-rip them. guess at least now i can rip them ACC ;)

i would still be interested to learn if anyone else has had any problems of any kind with iTunes4

4. andrewlandry macrumors member

i had the first hard crash in a long time while ripping a CD. also, i accidentally dragged the wrong album cover into iTunes and it won't let me change it. kind of weird. AAC sounds good though. :)

5. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

that does remind me...im at a coffee shop and i tossed in a CD...well the coffee shop has wireless but the authenitcator wasnt working so i couldnt really get on the internet though airport recognized a signal. EVERY time the CD would go in it would try to get the track listings online and CRASH iTunes. When it couldnt get through it just crashed the program and i had to turn off airport to stop it from doing it repeatedly.

6. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Maybe your hd is getting fragmented after 6 months.

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Anyone read the fine print when installing? It said something like to make an MP3 CD you must have an internal burner. I'm not sure if it affects AAC but I thought that was weird.

8. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

well as for the no external burner thing...Apple had already done that with its DVD drives...cant burn to an external DVD drive. I think its probably intentional to force upgrades.

as for my drive being fragmented..what the heck would that have to do with either of the problems i described!?! besides, Mac HDs dont fragment really badly the way PC HDs do so i doubt its very fragmented at all.

9. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i'm getting a weird fluctuation too...

on several songs..:mad:

10. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i get tones like something out of space invaders on any song encoded with aac. i think i'm the only one. =(

11. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i have noticed a few fluctuations in songs that werent ripped by iTunes now. But in most songs it seems to be in a set place...not random fluctuations. hmmmmm, wonder whats causing this all of a sudden. Glad someone else can coroborate so that i dont look like a nut job!

i havent encoded anything in AAC yet...now im almost afradi to!

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I had a little flucuations as well....Luckily I have a backup on another drive just in case :D

Im currently converting my mp3's to aac.....save s a good deal of space

I wish it would seperate the aac and mp3 files....it's gonna be a pain trashing the mp3's....Anyone know an easy way to get the mp3's out of my library without going into each album's folder?

How do you get cover art? I can't have to scan in the covers from my cd's that'd be ridiculous....there has to be a better way....please someone tell me...

Also, I had some programs (Quicktime, Final Cut Pro) quitting on me when I ad mp3's converting to aac....

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Well, so far I've encoded about 100 songs into iTunes as AAC, and I have to say....they sound AWESOME! I can really hear the difference between MP3 and AAC, and AAC kicks major boo-tay! I've decided to scrap all of my MP3's and re-encode all of my CD's as AAC.

Apple, thanks for another great piece of software!

14. andrewlandry macrumors member

for finding album cover art, i recommend the all music guide. the url is: http://www.allmusic.com/

just search by artist and click on the album and you'll get a nice decent sized picture of the cover.

15. mangoduck macrumors regular

teabgs, plase say you're not converting from mp3 straight to aac. please say that you're re-ripping to aac from the original cd format. if not, you're shooting yourself in the foot in regards to sound quality...

no problems for me in itunes 4 so far. haven't installed qt yet so i've not messed with aac.

16. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I need the space and dont have time to re-rip until the semester is over.

I have a few videos to edit and if I can save a few gigs by converting my mp3's to aac then its fine. I dont lose any quality, and I can always rip them again later properly.

I just like that I can have the same quality and use less space until I have time to re-rip all my music....it's very time consuming...I have no time.

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

18. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

well if you are like me you ripped mp3s at a bitrate higher than 128 for mp3s you can sort by bitrate separate your mp3s from aacs easily

p.s. do you think that if you convert a 192kbps mp3 to aac it loses quality?

19. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Use the "Artwork" tab in the Get Info window. That will allow you to delete it.

20. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Yeah..I thought about that....so I tested it out, and they sounded about the same...I figured it wouldnt sound good, but it really doesnt get it to lose quality...

21. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Not related to your post, but Britain only has one 't'...

22. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

As you reported it, you were having problems with skipping. That indicates a poor data stream. Since you weren't running many apps at all, it would seem that your problem isn't a small ram buffer. So it would make sense that your hd isn't in prime condition.

And mac hd's fragment badly enough. Ever notice that on a clean install of the OS, the optimization step takes almost no time, but after a while that step alone can take 20 mins?

EDIT: I just saw that it worked fine in ITunes 3. Ignore all that.:D :D :D

23. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok...can i just trash iTunes 4 and reinstall it without it causing other problems? It is now messin with Kylie, and thats where i draw the line. If i have to spend another day of studying listening to iTunes4 butchering my mp3s im gonna be pissed

24. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

My imac is doing the same thing in itunes4. Volume fluctuations in all of my mp3s! That's why I got on here to look and see if anyone else had the same problem. Is this going to be like the last imovie upgrade!?!? What should I do?

25. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

if you try encoding just with quicktime you'll find the sound is a lot better.

i'm putting this down as an iTunes bug. i pray it is fixed promptly.