Anyone having restore trouble after the HD recall?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scott911, Feb 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I had the harddrive replaced in my iMac. Was advised to do a full time-machine save first; I have two copies on separate disks.

Got 'new' machine back from apple. At home, restore from timemachine wouldn't work. Apple genius' suggested making sure I had the latest OS. Still didn't work. Third trip to store, apple Genuis' suggested I makes sure I have all the App installed that I previously had.

This confuses me because I had thought the Time Machine was essentially an 'image' that I'd select and then be able to restore entire drive - apps and data.

Apple won't help - they don't want to take responsibility for anything involving my data - gee thanks. You already pull and probably destroyed the drive where I had all my data!

Looking for advice:

#1 - am I missing something with the proper use of time machine?

#2 - should I give up on Time machine - and if so, can I then manually find and copy files from the time-machine back-up?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502

If you have a new OS on the repaired iMac, try Migration Assistant, rather than Restore from Time Machine. If it doesn't come up automatically when you start the new OS, go to Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant, and migrate from Time Machine.

See if that works.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 6502a

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys/gals - i appreciate the help.

:")

6. macrumors regular

I brought my time machine disk to the store and let them move the data. Only one problem, Safari didn't work after they were done. Downloaded a new version and everything was fine.