Anyone here build their own Macs from scratch?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EvilHorace, Jan 7, 2003.

1. EvilHorace macrumors newbie

I'm a PC guy who build my own Windows based PCs from scratch but I'm curious to the whole "Mac thing" and have considered buying a used Mac vs building one from scratch. Even used Macs with reletively slow processors and "average" if not outdated ram, video cards, sound and HDDs sell for alot more on Ebay than what I could build a new state of the art PC for.
    Anyone build their own Macs? Any reason why not?
    The only 3 things I see that's different from Windows based PCs (besides the novel Mac cases) is the CPU, motherboard and OS. Otherwise the parts are basically the same.
    Most of the video cards I see in the used Macs (1-2 yr old Macs)are actually very outdated for the PC world.

OK, OK.......I guess not heh? I've searched around at the usual PC supply sites, Pricewatch, Google search, etc and apparently the parts aren't sold separately to the general public.
    I've opted to buy a used one.

2. GigaWire macrumors 6502

hehhehe

Did you think the prices were inflated for fun?

3. EvilHorace thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly no. All I can say is that I hope I'll enjoy my new, used Mac as much as all you Mac people seem to.

4. digitalgiant macrumors regular

5. EvilHorace thread starter macrumors newbie

6. goglamosh macrumors member

Tech TV's Screensavers built a homemade G4 1 Ghz on their show about a month ago. It was pretty cool. You may be able to find the links to their article on how they went about it. I know the logic board didn't quite fit right, but they made it work with an ATX case. They used www.macresq.com for logic board parts, and various other things, and used Sonnet tech for the CPU parts.