Anyone here do the Bonnaroo?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mopppish, Feb 12, 2006.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hey, folks. I'm just really excited about this year's Bonnaroo festival. My first Bonnaroo was 2004, and it was a DISASTER! It rained like crazy, I missed most of the music I wanted to see (namely Primus) and my anxiety about camping in a cow pasture surrounded by 90,000 strangers didn't help!
    Plus, I was the only one in our group of friends that wasn't shrooming during the really big storm. That was insane!
    After all of that, I was crazy enough to want to go again last year, and I had the time of my life! Jurassic 5, The Mars Volta, Mouse on Mars, The Black Crowes, Secret Machines... They were all amazing!!! I'm not at all a fan of "jam bands" (i.e. The Dead, Widespread Panic, Umphrey's McGee), but Bonnaroo's line-up continues to diversify, and this year looks like the best yet! Radiohead, Beck, Tom Petty, Oysterhead (F'n Les Claypool and Stewart Copeland man! Oh, and that Trey guy is OK), Elvis Costello, Atmosphere, Death Cab (who I don't like much on album but looks intriguing live), MMW, My Morning Jacket, AAAAHHHH!!! My head's going to explode! Add to all of that the fact that there will be more additions leading up to the festival and that there are always a band or two I discover that I haven't heard of before and I will be in heaven. One of my friends from school is sitting in with Rebirth Brass Band, too!
    Tennessee, here I come (again)! :D :D :D

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Where did it get it's name from...sounds like some kind of bush dance? :D

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I bought 10 tickets yesterday. I don't know if I will really go but I'll be putting what I don't use up on eBay in the upcoming months.

jon

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Cool someone already made a topic on this.

I just found out about this, and there are a lot of good artists. Anyone have experiences at this festival? I'd like to hear some stories. I'm considering goin this year.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

A big group of my friends are going this year...I didn't have much interest.

I was turned off mainly by the comment one of my friends made after going 2 years ago:

"I don't remember anything about what happened during those 3 days. All I remember is water, mud and lots of people." :p

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea rain sucks, and drugs... well it's a matter of opinion

You goto Union? How you like it?

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Starting in september. :)

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I see.

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I, too, was at the incredibly rainy Bonnaroo 2004! Fortunately, though, I did not end up having to camp (which I would have ordinarily enjoyed). I have a friend from Manchester, and he hooked my and my [now] wife up with a place to stay and a job selling beer. We had to work a total of like 6 hours over the course of the festival; in exchange we got free entrance, free food and drink from all the other vendors, a tent to stand under in the storms, and a place to sleep in a bed and take a shower. It was glorious. Enjoyed it much more than I would have had I had to pay and camp :D

I've been trying really hard to make it work for this year (there are some really amazing people playing, and two of them that I want to see that I have never had an opportunity to see before - and may not ever have another opportunity to see). Unfortunately, right now money is just a bit tight. Of course, depending on how much iJon is trying to get, maybe I'll scrounge together enough for 2 tix. :p

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Yeah, I initially bought the tickets hoping Radiohead would sell this festival out. I'm having my doubts although 2004 Bonnaroo didn't sell out till late May, so it still might. Assuming it doesn't I will have to round up my friends to go and sell what's left of my tickets. I'll probably end up selling them $10-$20 cheaper than what I bought them for so I'm not stuck with a bunch of extra tickets. If anyone is interested I would be happy to sell them some of my tickets, I guess I would just ship them out here early June when they arrive on my doorstep.

jon

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I wish at could have gone to these. Anybody catch the Praxis set at 2004? I heard they stole to show. Those guys are sick.

12. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Just looked through some of my Bonnaroo pics, and found a funny one of a bunch of people taking shelter from the rain under our beer tent.

<edit>
    Pic upload didn't work, and I can't quite figure out why. I even made it the right size. Maybe I'll try it from a different computer.
    </edit>

Attached Files: