Anyone here enjoy classical music?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gus, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I am a classical musician (bassoonist) and I was just curious as to how many people here actually enjoy classical music. If you do, would you mind posting a few details, like what your favorite compers/pieces are, and how you came to enjoy classical music. I really am very interested in your replies.

Regards,
    Gus

2. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Favourite Composer: Mozart

Favourite Piece: The Marriage Of Figaro
    (but pretty much anything from the man - he had a wicked style...)

Also - the wildly dark Piano Concerto No.3 By Rachmaninov (made famous by the life story of David Helfgott in "Shine" - I'm still trying to work out if Geoffrey Rush was actually playing the piano in the movie. If so, he certainly deserved that Oscar...).

3. Interiority macrumors member

Gus - I was a bassoonist - although pretty much in a former life - but I do play the piano quite a bit these days.

As for favourite composers... current study seems to fall into two categories - the Romantics - esp Sibelius, Mahler, Bruckner, Richard Strauss etc, and contemporary - John Adams, Michael Nyman, Steve Reich etc. I have some ideas for a Sibelius book - one day when I get some time I might start writing.

Not entirely sure how I came to classical music - I think through listening to BBC Radio 3 from an early age. Very much looking forward to the start of the Proms this week...

4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    well i work at a classical music radio station. that's about as close as i get. :D ;)

but i do enjoy it, just not enough to know anything about it.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I stick to a few good ones aside from what I listen to on public radio. Shostakovich, Wagner, Mozart, Beethoven...

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

if I want to fall asleep........

maybe. :eek:

Any other time - hell no. Boring ass music. :(

And for me to like a genre of music you gotta be able to sing along with it.

scem0

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You obviously haven't listened to enough of it. There's a lot more to music than singing along.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

there isn't much more than just the singing along value in my opinion.

I just like to sing to the music I listen to though.

Oh, and I've listened to a lot more classical music than I ever would have wanted to. My old private school shoved it down our throats. I was even on a team where we would say what song it was by listening to 10 seconds of a song.

Ms. Vinson (the music teacher) shoved classical music down our throats..... :rolleyes:

I never have liked it, and I doubt I ever will like it.

I don't have a problem with others liking it though, it just doesn't float my boat.

scem0

9. Interiority macrumors member

Scem0 - I really hope that one day you discover some of what classical music has to offer. I think you will find that its popular image and the way it's often presented is far from its true nature.

I think your music teacher, and anyone who tries to force music upon you has done you a great disservice. It is something that you must come to on your own terms.

10. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I really enjoy some of Bach's pieces like Toccata and Fugue. Great piece! :D I also like most of the other classical and romantic composer's compisitions. :cool:

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

A favorite composer of mine is Henryk Goreki. And recently a friend of mine turned me on to pianist Glenn Gould who is amazing.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't play any instruments. But I love to listen to classical music, have a lot of CD's!

13. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I'm a musician myself (bass). Most of the time, I prefer Jazz/Fusion/Funk, but I also occasionally listen to classical music. Some composers I like to listen to: Claude Debussy, Alban Berg, Edvard Grieg, Modest Mussorgsky.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Mozart's the best, but I've always liked Beethoven. He always had such a passion for his music. Must have been hard, competing with Mozart, who was a prodigy, and losing his hearing.

Scem0, you really should expand your horizons. Actually, classical music can be very relaxing, so what's wrong with falling asleep to it? Good classical music can make you smarter, you know.

15. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Yep! I play violin and I listen to a lot of classical music. I don't really have a favorite composer but I like a lot of haydn, mozart, beethoven, vivaldi, some bach and a little paganini is cool.

16. Aoide macrumors newbie

Well I teach music for a living so I definitely like classical music.

Too many favorite pieces and composers to name....

I am a choir teacher so I really love choral pieces. My favorites are the Brahms and Mozart Requiems. I also love to listen to Liszt and Chopin. (Ooo.... I wish I could play the piano... )

Lately I've really been enjoying Baroque pieces....

I would hope that no music teacher "crams music down the throat" of any student, but I do feel that it is our responsibility to expose our students to a musical world outside of what is on the radio. How teachers approach it will affect the students reaction as evidenced by scem0.

Of course music is very personal so everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they like or do not like.

17. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    bach is my favorite classical composer...followed closely by mozart and beethoven. those guys were the most consistent though chopin, telleman and tchakovski certainly had some "hits".

if you like string quartets..check out the Turtle Island String Quartet's version of jazz tunes...including miles davis' stuff. amazing.

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have listened to lots of classical music and I have made on opinion on it - it sucks.

Yes - maybe it is good for going to sleep to, but I think Enya is better so I am going to listen to her.

Maybe I do need to expand my horizons. But not now - I am just fine with the music I listen to right now.

Sorry, I'm in a really pissy mood. I might make a thread on why I'm in such a bad mood later, but I am probably the most angry, emotional, and depressed I have been in the last 2 years. :eek:.

scem0

19. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

My parents took me to a performance of Tchaikovsky's Concerto by Perlman when I was in first grade. Much to their dismay, I spent grade school inflicting a violin upon them. It seems I have a consumer-grade ear.

Enjoy Liszt more than Chopin; R. Schumann (support your local loon) more than Beethoven (28 orchestra hits is not a way to end the 8th).

Agree with Berlioz that Vivaldi made a career of writing the same piece over and over.

Love Rachmaninov.

Enjoy opera greatly: R. Stauss more than Wagner (agree with someone's assessment that Wagner has great moments but awful quarters of an hour); Verdi more than Puccini (give me Iago's credo to put the fear of evil in me!). Think Great Gatsby turned icon of Americana into three hours of grating recitative -- thumbs down.

Favorite works (in the order the come to mind): Wozzek (Berg); Rusalka (Dvorak); Rachmaninov's First; Mozart's Little G-Minor; lots of stuff by Z. Kodaly....

Pick a minor key and start on the fifth and I'll hear you out.

20. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

La Mer and Nocturnes by Claude Debussy. when i was at governor's school f/t arts, i was introduced to Debussy. he blew my mind. Still does. I've also got a soft spot for the overture to Candide.

<EDIT?>whoops///

21. bryanc macrumors 6502

I love classical music, but I don't know as much about it as I'd like to. I played trumpet seriously for a couple of decades in a previous life (haven't picked up either of my horns in almost 15 years)-:

I also like jazz, classic rock (e.g., Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, etc.) and some current pop (not rap or country). But most contemporary music is, by it's nature, very short-lived. Apart from musicologists, I doubt anyone will be listening to Pink Floyd in 300 years, but they will still be listening to Bach and Mozart.

I think the problem most people have with classical music is the perception that it requires a sophistication on the part of the listener that most people don't have (and many don't want to have). It's true that the more you listen to classical music, the more you get out of it, but little kids (even infants) enjoy most classical music, so that sophistication is clearly not necessary.

Fundamentally, it's a problem of marketing. I have many friends who are classical musicians (my sister is an opera singer), and, after decades of disciplined study and passionate work, they can't make a living at it. Yet teenagers are able to pick up an electric guitar, learn three chords and make a fortune. This is fundamentally the result of the record industry learning how to manipulate the mass market. I hope things like the iTunes Music Store will help talented musicians (of all genres) reach their listeners without a massive record industry interfering and parasitizing the process.

Cheers

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was training to become a classical pianist way back during school. I played a lot of Chopin, Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven. For my fingers' pleasure, anything truly technical is good. For my ears, it's Debussy, Stravinsky, or Verdi.

23. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i am being classically trained in opera. i absolutely love classical music. its all i listen to when i am in the car. nothing moves the soul like real music.

i think everyone should take the equivalent of three college semesters of music theory along with math. theory and ear training have helped me be able to recognize and further love many composers. a certain amount of understanding of classical music only comes from study.

mozart and beethoven did not compete. mozart was essentially the pinnacle of the classical period. you dont get any better than him, so it was time to move on to different things. beethoven accomplished this and more. beethoven is the crux on which the classical and romantic periods of music lie. bach is god, mozart is jesus, and beethoven is the holy spirit ;)

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I find classical music to be very relaxing. It was amazing to me when I discovered that a lot of motion picture music, commericals, and musicals are based on classical music. Leonard Bernstein and John Williams are responsible for making classical music popular!

25. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I haven't ever really listened to much classical music. I think over time, I could start to like it, if I listened to it, though.